The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS for F/O panel

I was afraid, that installing WideFS will be a torment, like in case of many other network applications in Windows. But it just started to work out of box. And I must say it works great.

I use WideFS to create First Officer panel on second computer in my cockpit. F/O has every switch at hand, so I have to show him some gauges, second FMC and own joystick.

First step was easy - VasFMC set as slave shows everything ok, but sometimes it does messes with engines or heading. I'd like to allow VasFMC only to get data from FS and not send it back. Is it possible to allow some applications to only read data via WideFS, and not send back to FS?

Second problem is joystick. Is it possible to connect joystick to second computer? If not, I can of course connect it to main computer. But there is also another question: is it possible to set joystick priority, to make possible for captain to override what first officer does? Or maybe some kind of switch "i have controls / you have controls" to change joysticks?

Regards,

Slawek.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to allow some applications to only read data via WideFS, and not send back to FS?

You can use the "Deny" facilities, parameters in the INI file, to prevent all or specific (WideClient-loaded) applications from writing to specific offset. But this does not really suit your problem, and it may result in that program getting stuck in a loop if it sees its updates are not working.

Surely, for displays of gauges only there are alternative applications you can use?

Second problem is joystick. Is it possible to connect joystick to second computer? If not, I can of course connect it to main computer.

WideClient will transmit buttons actions to FSUIPC, but not axes. Really you are much better off connecting aces directly to the FS PC otherwise the latency can become a problem. If you must send axes from a client you can do it easily enough with a Lua plug-in on the Client.

But there is also another question: is it possible to set joystick priority, to make possible for captain to override what first officer does? Or maybe some kind of switch "i have controls / you have controls" to change joysticks?

If both sets of control axes are assign "direct to FSUIPC calibration, then FSUIPC will automatically arbitrate between them, only taking the one with the maximum deflection from 'normal'. This is okay for dual control, assuming your copilot does not go crazy and try to outdo your control. In real aircraft of course both controls operate all the time (and actually move together).

Pete

• 2 weeks later...