The simFlight Network Forums

LUA experts needed

I'm trying to run the Pokeys LUA script written by Terry Hall from user contributions section.

I keep getting this failure, and am lost as to why or what im missing. Any ideas?

Thanks

Error: Unable to create PoKeysDevice_DLL object

Seems you are missing that DLL. The start of the Lua program says:

poKeys = luacom.CreateObject("PoKeysDevice_DLL.PoKeysDevice")

if poKeys == nil then
ipc.log("Error: Unable to create PoKeysDevice_DLL object")
ipc.exit()
end
[/CODE]

so you need the module called PoKeysDevice_DLL.

Pete

If anyone knows where I can get it I would appreciate it.

I would assume it must be a DLL you already have, included presumably with the PoKeys package?

A google search gives the makers website (http://www.poscope.com). There are packages for download there, but I would have thought you already had what you need.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I did indeed find the dll there as well as on my PC for the polabs software. Now I need to figure out where it needs to go. Main FSX folder, Lua Folder within the fsx\modules folder?? I'm going to order the book on LUA programming to get better at this. Also, I noticed LUA 5.2 is out. Not sure if there would be any advantage to upgrading from 5.1?

Thanks,

Rob

I did indeed find the dll there as well as on my PC for the polabs software. Now I need to figure out where it needs to go. Main FSX folder, Lua Folder within the fsx\modules folder?

If the Lua program which requires it is running in FSUIPC from the FS Modules folder, then DLLs it calls should be in a Modules subfolder called "DLL". If it is being run under an external copy of the Lua interpreter than it probably depends on where that looks. I couldn't say offhand.

? I'm going to order the book on LUA programming to get better at this. Also, I noticed LUA 5.2 is out. Not sure if there would be any advantage to upgrading from 5.1?

Version 5.1 has been modified to suit the FS environment before being bolted into FSUIPC. I have not seen what changes there are in 5.2 to make more work worthwhile, but unless your application is explicitly needing something only available in 5.2 I wouldn't worry.

Regards

Pete