The simFlight Network Forums

Pete, back on the subject of fixing the ATC window . . .

Noel

Unfortunately, for those of us who do not like to call up saved flights, the problem of the ATC window showing up in its default mid screen position with all new flight plans remains. I don't like to load memory up with a saved flight anyway, since I almost always fly new ones with new real weather. So there is no fix if you like to start FS9, then create or load a flight plan, then take off. In this situtation you have to resize/reposition the ATC window as I had mentioned before. Please do consider, if possible, adding a "Fix ATC window size and position" in the Technical tab of FSUIPC. I don't know how many others like to move the ATC window off to an upper side corner, but I do on every single flight. I would very much appreciate this facility.

Also, I have the checkbox activated that is supposed to fix cockpit window positions and size, etc. Didn't this imply one could not resize/repos the windows without unchecking this box, or no? I thought the purpose of it was to prevent inadvertent resizing (i do this by accident sometimes when I'm resizing and reposition the semitransparent ATC window hint hint . . .)

Noel

Please do consider, if possible, adding a "Fix ATC window size and position" in the Technical tab of FSUIPC. I don't know how many others like to move the ATC window off to an upper side corner, but I do on every single flight. I would very much appreciate this facility.

I'm not sure it is possible. How would you think it could be done? Have a little program perhaps which sits waiting for the window to appear, then move it? Wouldn't that be very irritating -- it would appear in its default position then move every time.

How does it identify the window? If the title always the same in all language versions of FS? It can't tell by the window calss as they are all "FS98CHILD" I think.

Also, I have the checkbox activated that is supposed to fix cockpit window positions and size, etc. Didn't this imply one could not resize/repos the windows without unchecking this box, or no? I thought the purpose of it was to prevent inadvertent resizing

Yes, and that works. Sorry, what are you implying? That facility just intercepts attempts to move the windows (any children of FS) and doen't pass them on to be implemented. It doesn't work when Windows is set to show Windows whilst dragging, as by the time it sees the message it is too late.

Regards,

Pete

I'm not sure it is possible. How would you think it could be done? Have a little program perhaps which sits waiting for the window to appear, then move it? Wouldn't that be very irritating -- it would appear in its default position then move every time.

How does it identify the window? If the title always the same in all language versions of FS? It can't tell by the window calss as they are all "FS98CHILD" I think.

Somewhere in FS9, code tells the sim to open the ATC window in the same position each time. Seems like you might be able to find it and tell it to look at the last position it was in, and use that position next time, no? I'm not a programmer like you are. See what you can do. If it's too much time for too little benefit, I will just keep doing it every time up. Again, FSUIPC doesn't seem to offer too much for me this time out. In FS2002 I used the visibility smoothing etc and really liked it. It really don't help the situation in FS9. Often the default handling of visibility is better than what FSUIPC can do. So again, the $20 really didn't get me anything personally. It doesn't hurt to ask for something of practical value for me personally, eh? I know you're doing the best you can with FSUIPC, so I ask this as a favor. I'm sure there are others who do not like the default positioning of the ATC window so it may appeal to others as well.

Yes, and that works. Sorry, what are you implying? That facility just intercepts attempts to move the windows (any children of FS) and doen't pass them on to be implemented. It doesn't work when Windows is set to show Windows whilst dragging, as by the time it sees the message it is too late.

Didn't know about the show windows while dragging issue. Thanks.

Noel

Somewhere in FS9, code tells the sim to open the ATC window in the same position each time. Seems like you might be able to find it and tell it to look at the last position it was in, and use that position next time, no?

I spent a week full time (my full time = 12 hours per day) trying to find out how to intercept the message to that window, so I could divert them completely, as in AdvDisplay, and failed to even get close. I really am not going to be able to devote so much time hacking again through that tortuous Microsoft code to find such things. I really think if it is that important to you you might like to try it yourself? :) It is no fun, and I would certainly not even consider embarking on such a horrendous investigation for something like that. I'm very sorry.

Again, FSUIPC doesn't seem to offer too much for me this time out. In FS2002 I used the visibility smoothing etc and really liked it. It really don't help the situation in FS9.

You aren't using FSUIPC 3.05 or later then! The visibility smoothing, limits and graduation are FAR better the way I've done them in FS9 than they were in FS2002! To start with, they are universal, and this time really smooth. From what you say, it is obvious you haven't tried them yet. :cry:

Didn't know about the show windows while dragging issue.

It's always been mentioned in the documentation.

Regards,

Pete

Pete, now that is not true. I have tried them. But my goal was to get rid of the ice rink effect, which as you explained, is not going away anytime soon. You should take note Pete that others find some of the visibility elements to be not good in FS9, though you continue to speak highly of FS9''s visibility implementation.

Anyway, it sounds like you already tried to do what I asked, so thanks for trying . . .

Noel

Pete, now that is not true. I have tried them. But my goal was to get rid of the ice rink effect, which as you explained, is not going away anytime soon.

Oh, right. Sorry. But that is really a graphics thing -- the added cloud layer graphic so that the mist is visible below when you ascend above it. This was MS's response to the many complaints it got about the ground being too clear below, suddenly, when you ascend out of the mist. It was actually a late addition, and in fact in many (even most in many parts of the world) situations it does make it better. I suppose they cannot win really, whatever they do someone isn't happy.

All of the other visibility aspects in FS2004 are surely good -- certainly a big improvement on FS2002 which was dire in my opinion, and more like FS200o which was pretty good in this respect at least.

However, that is not the point. The visibility facilities I provide in FSUIPC are better implemented, now, in FS2004, than they ever were in FS2000 or FS2002. You can certainly get rid of most of the ice rink effects be establishing maximum visibilities and some suitable graduation, to keep the mist clearing slowly to a suitable altitude.

You should take note Pete that others find some of the visibility elements to be not good in FS9, though you continue to speak highly of FS9''s visibility implementation.

Yes, because it was so bad in FS2002 and so much better in FS2004. Sorry, but this has been one of my hobby-horses ever since FS2002 came out. It was nearly bad enough to make me go back to FS2000.

Anyway, it sounds like you already tried to do what I asked, so thanks for trying . . .

Well, not exactly, though it may have been a possible easy side result. The main thing I would like to achieve (and this goes back to FS2002 release, not just FS2004) would be to allow the ATC text and responses to be handled by an external program, even via WideFS on a separate PC. To do this I thought I could hook into the routines which display the ATC window and re-direct the messages before it got drawn. Unfortunately I failed to do this in FS2002 and wasted as much time again looking for a way in FS2004.

Another possible advantage of finding a way into it would have been to be able to make use of the same neat FS translucent window mechanism for others to use -- eg instructor programs, Squawkbox and Radar Contact type applications, and so on, rather than the current AdvDisplay window.

There are so many potential benefits of cracking this area that I've not dismissed it altogether. It's just that I cannot afford to get buried into that and let everything else slide. I will look again when I get time (hah! :) )

Regards,

Pete