The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC over TCP/IP

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to communicate with FSUIPC over TCP/IP? I want to make an app that uses FSUIPC but is cross-platform and can run on any OS. The reason being, I want to use my dozen or so Raspberry Pi's as displays for my cockpit. I want to write some software that displays flight screens through the raspberry pi from data gathered from FSUIPC.

Is there a way to read/write offsets over TCP?

Thanks.

Is it possible to communicate with FSUIPC over TCP/IP?

Yes. That's what WideFS is for. WideFS extends the FSUIPC interface over a Network of PCs.

I want to make an app that uses FSUIPC but is cross-platform and can run on any OS. The reason being, I want to use my dozen or so Raspberry Pi's as displays for my cockpit. I want to write some software that displays flight screens through the raspberry pi from data gathered from FSUIPC.

Ah, well, of course the WideClient part of WideFS only runs on PCs under Windows (XP or later). To talk to other types of computer you'd need to run a program on the Server to do the interfacing for you. You could certainly do it pretty easily with a Lua plug-in. Please see the examples already provided in the package in your FSUIPC documents folder. There's a master/slave example, for instance, using TCP/IP to slave a Networked copy of FS from another. Half of that would be a start.

Regards

Pete

Yes. That's what WideFS is for. WideFS extends the FSUIPC interface over a Network of PCs.

Ah, well, of course the WideClient part of WideFS only runs on PCs under Windows (XP or later). To talk to other types of computer you'd need to run a program on the Server to do the interfacing for you. You could certainly do it pretty easily with a Lua plug-in. Please see the examples already provided in the package in your FSUIPC documents folder. There's a master/slave example, for instance, using TCP/IP to slave a Networked copy of FS from another. Half of that would be a start.

Regards

Pete

Thanks so much Pete, I must admit, I only peeked at the SDK and skipped the LUA part entirely. Ideally I would like to just start up a program on a remote machine and have it "sniff" for running FSUIPC instances on the network. I may have to build a bridge to get it there using LUA or a stand-alone C# service using the FSUIPC Managed API.

Thanks again, I'll dive into the Master/slave LUA stuff now and see.

-Gabriel

Ideally I would like to just start up a program on a remote machine and have it "sniff" for running FSUIPC instances on the network.

Well, a Lua plug-in automatically started with FSUIPC (via "ipcReady.lua " for example) could certainly do that. The Lua plug-in facility was specifically added to FSUIPC in order to allow this sort of on-going enhancement without me having to continue to mess with the main code. After all, it is becoming quite long in the tooth now, and increasingly likely to become buggy if I have to mess with code I've long forgotten!

Regards

Pete