The simFlight Network Forums

GPS out and Com port settings

Can the Com port number in Gps.out be changed to any other number without altering any other text in Gps.out.

Of course. Each parameter is independent of each other.

Will Gps.out work with both FS2004 and also FSX with the same Com port number without any other text being altered.

Of course, providing it's the correct port number. How could it be otherwise?

Pete

Of course. Each parameter is independent of each other.

Of course, providing it's the correct port number. How could it be otherwise?

Pete

Thanks Pete for the reply,

My pc uses Com port 1 for the processor.

Com port 1 is seen in the Gps.out text

My Gps connects via a serial 232 to usb cable into the pc's usb port. now seen as a prolific com port and defaults to Com port 3 which I believe can be changed to another com port number.

If I alter the Com port 1 setting in Gps.out text to Com port 3 will this work for both FS2004 and FSX in Windows 7.

Previously Gps.out with Com port 1 setting worked with FS2004 in Windows XP where Com port 1 was available on that pc.

I hope I am making some sense.

Thanks for your reply.

Hello Pete again,

I've been using Gps.out ver 2.60 for some years now with COM port set as 2 in the gps.out text for FS2004 Century of Flight using Windows XP......Gps.out has been loaded to the Modules folder in FS2004 (FS9) and all has been working well with Windows XP.

Since loading FS2004 to a new Windows 7 PC and after loading the Gps.out with Com port set as 3 (this time to suit a prolific Serial to USB cable that defaults to COM port 3) in the text; again loaded into the FS9 Modules folder; the GPS does not identify it and does not work.

Also, I don't know where to load Gps.out into FSX and after using Windows Explorer in Windows 7, I can'tt see any Modules folder in the FSX string of files and folders and have checked this many times; so there appears to be no Modules Folder to copy Gps.out to, to operate a gps.

I would appreciate your comments,

Thanks.

Since loading FS2004 to a new Windows 7 PC and after loading the Gps.out with Com port set as 3 (this time to suit a prolific Serial to USB cable that defaults to COM port 3) in the text; again loaded into the FS9 Modules folder; the GPS does not identify it and does not work.

GPSout is no different in operation on any Windows version. It is a very simply module, just sending out data on whatever port you specify. You need to double check that COM3 is correct.

Also, I don't know where to load Gps.out into FSX and after using Windows Explorer in Windows 7, I can'tt see any Modules folder in the FSX string of files and folders and have checked this many times; so there appears to be no Modules Folder to copy Gps.out to, to operate a gps.

GPSout is not an FSX module. GPSout is built into FSUIPC4 for FSX. And the Modules folder is created when you install FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete

GPSout is no different in operation on any Windows version. It is a very simply module, just sending out data on whatever port you specify. You need to double check that COM3 is correct.

GPSout is not an FSX module. >>"GPSout is built into FSUIPC4 for FSX. And the Modules folder is created when you install FSUIPC".<<

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, now I see how the Modules folder will be created in FSX.

Should I also load FSUIPC4 into the FS9 Century of flight modules folder; this Modules folder appears to be part of FS9 already.

GPSout is not an FSX module. GPSout is built into FSUIPC4 for FSX. And the Modules folder is created when you install FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete

One more question please:

I am unfamiliar with FSUIPC4; what other jobs does this package do in MS flight sime

Should I also load FSUIPC4 into the FS9 Century of flight modules folder; this Modules folder appears to be part of FS9 already.

FSUIPC4 is the 'new' version for FSX, ESP and P3D. FSUIPC3 is for FS9 and before. FSUIPC4 will not install into FS9 or before.

I am unfamiliar with FSUIPC4; what other jobs does this package do in MS flight sime

When you install it there will be full documentation installed in the FSUIPC Documents subfolder. They tell you all. If you want to read some first, check the "Download Links" Subforum here where you can download documentation on its own.

Pete

Hello Pete,

I've downloaded FSUIPC4 at this time not registered and installed it into FSX; it created a Modules folder that was not previously in FSX.

I've copied my old Gps.out with Com port set as 3 into this new FSX Modules folder.

The Prolific Serial 232 to USB creates Com port 3 in my PC; this has been checked numerous times via Device Manager; Com port 3 working OK. (I have another flight program that works with Com port 3 OK so it's not the port causing the problem)

But.....still no communication between gps and FSX.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also loaded FSUIPC3 not registered yet, to FS9 FS2004 and reloaded Gps.out into the Modules folder; But still no communication between gps and FS9.

I understand that to enable Gps.out to work in FSUIPC4 for FSX only a purchased registered version will make it all work; is that correct?

If I have to purchase a registered copy of FSUIPC4 for FSX, would it be better to delete the Modules folder in FSX via Windows Explorer before loading FSUIPC4 again to avoid any corruption problems with over writing data.

I'm not too bothered if FS9 doed not work with gps, can use FS9's gps, but want to use FSX with gps.

I would appreciate your comments again,

Many Thanks.

Woodpecker

I've downloaded FSUIPC4 at this time not registered and installed it into FSX; it created a Modules folder that was not previously in FSX.

Right.

I've copied my old Gps.out with Com port set as 3 into this new FSX Modules folder.

No, do not do that. As I said GPSout is built into FSUIPC, and you configure it in the FSUIPC options, whilst in FSX. You need to be registered to use these facilities.

I've also loaded FSUIPC3 not registered yet, to FS9 FS2004 and reloaded Gps.out into the Modules folder; But still no communication between gps and FS9.

On FS9 GPSout does not need FSUIPC. If it isn't working then your port is wrong or not working. Use a port monitor to check the output -- there's a free one at www.sysinternals.com

I understand that to enable Gps.out to work in FSUIPC4 for FSX only a purchased registered version will make it all work; is that correct?

Yes, it is part of the registered user benefits of FSUIPC4. With Microsoft providing the SimConnect application interface free for all to use I had to build in more benefits for user registration. GPSout is just one of them. But it is built in, you do NOT use GPSout.DLL or a separate INI file.

If I have to purchase a registered copy of FSUIPC4 for FSX, would it be better to delete the Modules folder in FSX via Windows Explorer before loading FSUIPC4 again to avoid any corruption problems with over writing data.

No. Do NOT do that. It will make a mess. To register you only need to re-run the Installer.

Regards

Pete

Right.

No, do not do that. As I said GPSout is built into FSUIPC, and you configure it in the FSUIPC options, whilst in FSX. You need to be registered to use these facilities.

On FS9 GPSout does not need FSUIPC. If it isn't working then your port is wrong or not working. Use a port monitor to check the output -- there's a free one at www.sysinternals.com

Yes, it is part of the registered user benefits of FSUIPC4. With Microsoft providing the SimConnect application interface free for all to use I had to build in more benefits for user registration. GPSout is just one of them. But it is built in, you do NOT use GPSout.DLL or a separate INI file.

No. Do NOT do that. It will make a mess. To register you only need to re-run the Installer.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the replies Pete,

I have a problem using Saitek Rudder pedals with FSX.

I can enable the Rudder OK

I am unable to enable Toe Brake settings no matter what I do, I've followed Saitek instructions and also followed forum member's advice that has been valuable; but for some unknown reason; FSX appears not to allow Toe Brake settings to stick; when clicking OK each time and even rebooting the PC after enabling the settings when I check the settings they have disappeared; FSX does not allow Toe Brakes to be enabled although also, Autorudder has been disabled.

So.....do you think that FSUIPC4 could possibly solve this problem.

It's interesting that on the same PC I have FS9 Century of flight and Toe Brakes; differential brakes and rudder work a treat.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Woodpecker.

I am unable to enable Toe Brake settings no matter what I do, I've followed Saitek instructions and also followed forum member's advice that has been valuable; but for some unknown reason; FSX appears not to allow Toe Brake settings to stick; when clicking OK each time and even rebooting the PC after enabling the settings when I check the settings they have disappeared; FSX does not allow Toe Brakes to be enabled although also, Autorudder has been disabled.

So.....do you think that FSUIPC4 could possibly solve this problem.

Depends why you have the problem in the first place. FSUIPC treats all axes the same, toe brakes are just two more axes to be assigned and calibrated.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

When placing an order for FSUIPC online can you tell me who....what company.....person etc takes the order and where are they based, I assume the order website is HTTPS a secure site.

The link to the order site is given on the main download site on Schiratti, and in the FSUIPC user guide, along with full details.

Pete