The simFlight Network Forums

Ready to Give up

Mr. Dowson,

After severtal years as a registred FSUIPC user I have enjoyed your prodcut and mentioned it favorably many times in various forums. This morning I purchased WideFS for Fs9 hoping I could simply run a few ultilites on my second computer.

I have spent all day trying to do this and have very little hair left. I am NOT a computer and networking whiz and I think you have to be a fair one to install this program.. I have read the manual, posts, and error logs until my blood pressure is out the roof. I have turned off Windows Firewalls and messed with sharing options all day.

Sir. I am sending you the 2 logs I think will help you. Using the logs and more of your great knowledge can you exaplain to me in PLAIN terms how to make it work? If not, can I respectfuly ask for a refund of this product?

Thanks

cls

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.94] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 17/04/13, Time 15:46:14.971: Server name is CECIL-PC

109388 Initialising TCP/IP server

109404 Initialising IPX/SPX server

109404 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

109404 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

109404 Initialising UDP/IP server

111042 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

120776 Restarting service due to total lack of use

120792 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.94] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 17/04/13, Time 15:19:07.934: Server name is CECIL-PC

107110 Initialising TCP/IP server

107126 Initialising IPX/SPX server

107126 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

107126 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

107126 Initialising UDP/IP server

108717 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

118358 Restarting service due to total lack of use

118389 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

1455942 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 0 alloc, 0 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

I have spent all day trying to do this and have very little hair left. I am NOT a computer and networking whiz and I think you have to be a fair one to install this program..

No, that's realy not true. Installation merely consists of placing WideServer in the FS9 Modules folder, and WideClient anywhere you like on the other PC, then runnng FS on the one and WideClient on the other. There's normally absolutely nothing else to do if you have a properly working network with no impediments like fiewalls -- and why put a firewall between two of your own PCs in any case? Except in rare circumstances WideFS doesn't even need any configuring at all, it is all automatic.

I have read the manual, posts, and error logs until my blood pressure is out the roof. I have turned off Windows Firewalls and messed with sharing options all day.

There's no sharing options for WideFs as it doesn't read/write files across the network. There are no "error logs", only logs telling you what is going on, and in general if there's anything odd in them you are better off just showing them to me.

I see that you have pasted in 2 partial and 2 complete Server logs which show that the server is indeed running correctly. Unfortunately, as you must surely realise, a Network link has two ends -- one on the FS PC and the other on the other PC, the 'client', where you run WideClient. You need to show me the Wideclient log. The Server is fine but that's only half the story.

I also need to know what versions of Windows you are running on the two PCs concerned. Also you really do need to actually describe why you think it isn't working. What programs were you trying to run on the Client? Are they FSUIPC applications?

Regards

Pete

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The laptop that I'm running Fs9 on has Windows 7 64 bit. The Desktop I want to use for the other programs is running Windows 7 32 bit. The reason I think it's not workings is because when I run the Wide Client shortcut (as administrator) from the Desktop all I get is a window that says waiting for connection in the panel.

I have managed to get Active Sky to load from my Laptop to the PC but I had to disable Winsdows firewall for it to load. That's where I'm stuck.

I hope this is the log you were wanting? It comes from the Desktop.

********* WideClient Log [version 6.992] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 17/04/13, Time 13:33:33.949: Client name is USER-PC

375 LUA: "C:\Users\user\Desktop\widefs\Initial.LUA": not found

468 Attempting to connect now

468 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

468 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

2484 Attempting to connect now

44609 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

728203 ****** End of session performance summary ******

728203 Total time connected = 0 seconds

728203 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

728203 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

728203 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

728203 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0)

This one might be more current??

********* WideClient Log [version 6.992] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 17/04/13, Time 14:18:59.070: Client name is USER-PC

531 LUA: "C:\Users\user\Desktop\wide client\Initial.LUA": not found

640 Attempting to connect now

640 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

640 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

2687 Attempting to connect now

2875 New Client Application: "ASv6" (Id=7204)

19968 ****** End of session performance summary ******

19968 Total time connected = 0 seconds

19968 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

19968 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

19968 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

19968 **************** Individual client application activity ****************

19968 Client 7204 requests: 15 (Ave 15/sec), Data: 810 bytes (810/sec), Average 54 bytes/Process

19968 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 15 Freed 15 Refused 0) *********

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The laptop that I'm running Fs9 on has Windows 7 64 bit. The Desktop I want to use for the other programs is running Windows 7 32 bit. The reason I think it's not workings is because when I run the Wide Client shortcut (as administrator) from the Desktop all I get is a window that says waiting for connection in the panel.

The client Log shows that it is simply waiting to find out where the Server is -- i.e. its IP address and the protocol to be used. This is, by default, broadcast every second by the Server. But it only gets to computers in the same WorkGroup (a Windows' restriction). Please check that both your PCs are in the same workgroup -- with Windows 7 you can find the Workgroup name in Start -- Computer -- Properties. You can also change it there, to be the same.

An alternative, and one which was the only way to link Client to Server in the earlier days of Windows (WideFS has been around since 1995), is to add the Server IP address (ServerIPAddr) or Name (ServerName) and the Protocol ("Protocol=UDP" or "Protocol=IPC") to the WideClient INI file. This is all described in a short section of the WideFS User Guide, the part headed by a Red banner urging you to read that little bit at least.

Once the Client knows how to contact the server you should have no problem. It would be the same for any networking program.

I have managed to get Active Sky to load from my Laptop to the PC but I had to disable Winsdows firewall for it to load. That's where I'm stuck.

I don't understand this part. (If you want to run ActiveSky on the client PC, you should really install it there. It will be very inefficient otherwise).

Regards

Pete