The simFlight Network Forums

Kohlsman Question

I am using an physical encoder to change the value of my BARO setting in JET45 Avionics Software. I have it connected to a Pokeys card and I have set the input as Direct Key Mapping and am using CTRL+SHIFT+1 and CTRL+SHIFT+2 and set 4X for sampling speed. Under Key Presses tab and Program keyboard controls here section of FSUIPC, I keyed in CTRL+SHIFT+1 selected Kohlsman Inc and for CTRL+SHIFT+2 selected Kohlsman Dec. The encoder works okay but it is slow to change values. If I turn the encoder faster the values change even slower or not at all. My question is this, is this a function of the encoder or is there any way I can get the values to change quicker with slower turns of the encoder by entering any values in the Parameters box?

Thanks

Alan

I am using an physical encoder to change the value of my BARO setting in JET45 Avionics Software. I have it connected to a Pokeys card and I have set the input as Direct Key Mapping and am using CTRL+SHIFT+1 and CTRL+SHIFT+2 and set 4X for sampling speed. Under Key Presses tab and Program keyboard controls here section of FSUIPC, I keyed in CTRL+SHIFT+1 selected Kohlsman Inc and for CTRL+SHIFT+2 selected Kohlsman Dec. The encoder works okay but it is slow to change values. If I turn the encoder faster the values change even slower or not at all. My question is this, is this a function of the encoder or is there any way I can get the values to change quicker with slower turns of the encoder by entering any values in the Parameters box?

The only way short of doing some Lua plug-in programming is to assign the same controls to both "press" and "release". Encoders send a sequence on "on" and "off" signals. Assigning to both will double the speed.

There's a drawback, though. It might be difficult to get to the exact value you need to set.

Regards

Pete

I also noticed that every time I load up FSX the encoder stops working. I have to go back into FSUIPC and reassign the settings.

The settings are saved in the FSUIPC INI file and reloaded each time. How are those being lost? It makes no sense! Did you write-protect that file, or are you deleting it?

Also how involved is the LUA programing given my limited knowledge?

Look at examples. There are many provided in the FSUIPC Documents folder along with the documentation, and the User Contributions subforum here provides more.

Regards

Pete

Pete

It wasn't because the INI file was changed it was because the communication with the Pokeys card was temporarily lost. I tried the suggestion on adding the same settings to RELEASE and it's very difficult to get the tenths and hundredths inches to where I want them. I can live with the slowness until I figure out a LUA script.

Thanks

Alan

It wasn't because the INI file was changed it was because the communication with the Pokeys card was temporarily lost.

Okay, but you should never need to re-assign. Why does the Pokeys connection get lost? Could it be the usual problem with Windows power management on USB?

I tried the suggestion on adding the same settings to RELEASE and it's very difficult to get the tenths and hundredths inches to where I want them.

Yes, exactly.

Regards

Pete