The simFlight Network Forums

Norton Anti-Virus and 3.999z2

Pete, My NAV fully blocked the installation though I'm not surprised. I added this version to my "exceptions" even though it showed a very high alert. Just to be sure, are we okay here? And will there be a further version that won't produce the alarm (I don't like having exceptions lurking about. :???: ) ? Thanks.

Pete, My NAV fully blocked the installation though I'm not surprised. I added this version to my "exceptions" even though it showed a very high alert. Just to be sure, are we okay here? And will there be a further version that won't produce the alarm (I don't like having exceptions lurking about. :???: ) ? Thanks.

You don't say which package, but both the FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4 packages check out here, and my whole PC checks out with no viruses. it is going to be a false alarm. The binaries are encrypted to ensure they can have code viruses attached and are only de-scrypted when run, so the base encrypted versions look nothing like the real code.

Regards

Pete

I'm sorry, I thought the version was in the topic's title. It is 3.999z2 for FS9. Again, it has installed correctly after I approved the exception. I just wanted to give you a heads up so that, hopefully, someone else will see your reply in case they also have this happen. I can send you the av log if you need it for some reason. Thanks.

Pete, Having the same problem as CDreier. NAV 2013 did not like FS9 3.999z2 version of FSUIPC. The FSX version installed properly. NAV deleted the installation file saying that it was identified as the Bloodhound.Sonar9 Trojan virus. I did a NAV On Demand scan of the installation file, which returned "No Threats Found". I tried both the website file and the Dropbox version that was with link included on the SimMarket email announcement. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rich Boll Wichita Kansas

Pete, Having the same problem as CDreier. NAV 2013 did not like FS9 3.999z2 version of FSUIPC. The FSX version installed properly. NAV deleted the installation file saying that it was identified as the Bloodhound.Sonar9 Trojan virus.

The installation file is a packed and encrypted conglomerate of the FSUIPC program itself and all of the documentation and Lua files, as well as the installer program itself. There is no identifiable code in it until it is run other that the same unpacker as included in the installed FSUIPC. Therefore it is a false identification .You simply need to tell Norton so they can extend the number of bytes they actually check for that virus. The trouble is they cast such a wide net by using as few recognition bytes as they think they can get away with. When confronted with semi-random data they make false identifications.

Pete

The installation file is a packed and encrypted conglomerate of the FSUIPC program itself and all of the documentation and Lua files, as well as the installer program itself. There is no identifiable code in it until it is run other that the same unpacker as included in the installed FSUIPC. Therefore it is a false identification .You simply need to tell Norton so they can extend the number of bytes they actually check for that virus. The trouble is they cast such a wide net by using as few recognition bytes as they think they can get away with. When confronted with semi-random data they make false identifications.

I've also now uploaded a ZIP containing only the DLL itself, no installer. If it is only a false pattern being found in the Installer then maybe the 3.999z2 DLL only will not trigger a response from NAV.

Regards

Pete