The simFlight Network Forums

AUTOSAVE and french FS2004

hi PETE.

we are a lot of french people trying to use autosave 1.45 with a french version of FS2004 and some of us have problems.

my config is Windows 2000,fsuipc 3.06 registred,autosave 1.45.

fs2004 crash immediatly at the star of the program when the autosave.dll is included un the modules folder.

Have you this kind of problem whis others international version of fs or is typically a bug on french version or due to windows2000?

thanks for your help

SERGE

we are a lot of french people trying to use autosave 1.45 with a french version of FS2004 and some of us have problems.

my config is Windows 2000,fsuipc 3.06 registred,autosave 1.45.

fs2004 crash immediatly at the star of the program when the autosave.dll is included un the modules folder.

Have you this kind of problem whis others international version of fs or is typically a bug on french version or due to windows2000?

I don't know, sorry. This is the first report of any problem.

Are all the people with problems using Windows 2000? Are there some without problems using the French version of FS2004?

The only thing which had to be rather different for FS2004 was finding the correct path for the FLT+WX files, so that the correct cycle can be maintained. That involves a call to a special DLL which is a standard part of Win98 and WinXP, and, as far as I know, also Win2000. But I will test it on an English version of Win2000 to make sure.

If you can supply any other details, I'd be grateful.

Regards,

Pete

i think you are right the pb is on the path used by win2000 in french

can you give me the name of the path used by win2000 and i compare if this path are differents in french version for fs and win

The path will be different in every case anyway, as it is based on your User Name. In a English version of Windows it will be (assuming C is your Windows drive):

C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files

Now, of this my program only has to add the "Flight Simulator Files" part -- the rest is provided by a call to a Windows DLL called "SHFolder.dll" which should exist in your Windows System or System32 folder.

Perhaps the French version of FS saves the files in a different subfolder? I'm not sure how I would be able to derive that. I may have to have an extra parameter in the CFG to tell me. If you could check please.

However, if AutoSave cannot find the folder, it should not crash. All that would happen is that it cannot get to the correct folder to delete the old saved files when the number you specify to keep has been reached, so the number of files just grows and grows.

Regards,

Pete

Further on the matter of path names, I've found the string number for the resource string FS2004 uses for the folder "Flight Simulator Files", so I can change AutoSave to get the right folder automatically. I'll do that within the next few days (I'm a bit inundated at present).

Meanwhile we need to get more information on why it is actually crashing. I cannot see that getting the wrong path should crash anything. Can you get any more details? Possibly a DrWatson dump? (see the section "If FS crashes ..." in the FSUIPC documentation for how to do that).

Regards.

Pete

with window2000 french and fs2004 french; flt and wx files are stored in: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Mes documents\Fichiers Flight Simulator.

I try to create your path; same pb

i think autosave path must be modified for a french use

All I need to do is get the "Flight Simulator Files" part from FS2004's own resource strings for this -- they are in its "Language.DLL". It is not a problem, I will do that within the next few days. But I need to know why it is crashing. It should not cause a crash just because the path isn't located.

If you do add the "Flight Simulator Files" path it needs to be:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Mes documents\Flight Simulator Files

as all the preceding parts are supplied to me by the system.

BTW are you using an English/US edition of Win2000? I am surprised to see "Documents and Settings" on a French system.

Regards,

Pete

Can you try the attached AutoSave.DLL? This should find the correct folder. But there's no change to fix any "crash" at all as I've no idea what is causing that. I think the only symptom of it not finding the folder is that it would never delete any files, so there would be more and more.

Regards,

Pete

AutoSave146.zip

windows say autosave.dll is not compatible with fs2004

What? Is that the same? You did not mention that before!

Can you tell me the version number of your FS2004 -- Help-About. Full build number, please? It sounds like it is NOT the same as the standard Gold release. This would make FSUIPC and most of my other modules incompatible too.

Do you load any of my other modules? They all do the same thing on loading.

Can you tell me the exact title bar text in FS2004, please? This is the title bar when you are in normal flight mode, in a window or maximised.

Pete

I resume the situation:

WIN2000 French

FS2004 French

with AutoSave dll 1.45 or 1.46

When i launch FS2004 it stop immediatly with a message "an error as occured during execution of fs9.exe"

with AutoSave dll 1.41

When i launch FS2004 it start correctly i can fly but if i loock for autosave records it d'ont find anything.(for a fly >1h for exple)

If i do a search on disk for autosave records, i find nothing.

WIN2000 French

FS2004 French

with AutoSave dll 1.45 or 1.46

When i launch FS2004 it stop immediatly with a message "an error as occured during execution of fs9.exe"

So, how come you got "windows say autosave.dll is not compatible with fs2004" before? I need a constent story please. :(

Without any more information I'm afraid I cannot progress this any further. It works fine on Win2000 Pro here, and there is really nothing which is Windows dependent until it actualy wants to save something in any case.

I did ask for your FS2004 version and build. Can you not find it? (Help-About). Als i asked for the exact title text in FS when it is ready to fly. Can you not tell me that either? Also, if you can get some sort of dump, like DrWatson (*see FSUIPC documentation "If FS crashes ..." near the end) then I can take a look, but there is really nothing in AutoSave to crash FS.

with AutoSave dll 1.41

When i launch FS2004 it start correctly i can fly but if i loock for autosave records it d'ont find anything.

Version 1.41 is not compatible with FS2004. You should get a warning from FS telling you so. If you don't, then there is something odd.

Sorry, unless you want to give me more details I cannot progress this any further.

Regards,

Pete