Jump to content
The simFlight Network Forums

runways.xml file question


Recommended Posts

Hello Pete,

I downloaded your MakeRunways utility and when I tried importing the runways.xml file into an Access database, it imports fine but with one issue. It will not create an ICAO ID column for the airports or runways.

It will show all airports, one per row, but the ICAO column is not displayed.

Is there a way to have the XML tell Access to create a coumn for ICAO ID as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I downloaded your MakeRunways utility and when I tried importing the runways.xml file into an Access database, it imports fine but with one issue. It will not create an ICAO ID column for the airports or runways.

It will show all airports, one per row, but the ICAO column is not displayed.

That's very strange. Why does it ignore that part? It's the enclosure for the complete airport record and the ID is part of it. Maybe the use of fields within the <> parentheses needs a more sophisticated XML processor?

Is there a way to have the XML tell Access to create a coumn for ICAO ID as well?

Sorry, I don't know. I've never used Access nor any XML programs. The file was created in that format to meet requests received. I do have a version of Access on my PC but it doesn't recognise XML files -- was this added in a later version or are you using a 3rd party plug-in? Maybe there's a better one?

I thought XML table formats were more the province of Excel than Access, and my old copy of Excel does recognise the format -- AND it puts the ICAO code in a column called 'id' as the first column ("A"). Maybe you should import it into Excel and output it as an Access database?

Interestingly, even my (newer) version of Microsoft Word reads it successfully, and displays each entry in a very fancy graphic format, but it does omit the ICAO id part -- and the Runway id2 part. So it is definitely a function of the XML formatr which isn't universally accepted. BTW it takes Word a long long time formatting the whole thing in its fancy way. I started it before replying to your message and it is still in "not responding" mode, presumably doing more and more pages. Just one record takes up a complete screen in its format.

Maybe there's an option in Word (and Access?) someplace for it to use imbedded fields, like Excel does.

[LATER]

I saved the Excel loaded version as an xlsx file, which is then recognised and loaded okay in Access, which includes the id and id2 fields.

Regards

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.