The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIP4 READMe ouch!

I'm a NEWBIE in the sim-World... I was having some trouble building key shortcuts and someone suggested I purchase FSUIP4. Bought it, downloaded it, loaded it, registered it, Didn't work...

READMe revelation: Several people have had issues because of Virus Utilities, firewalls etc, but there is nothing beyond a few suggestions of a work-around, and what if none of them work (My situation ) Tried for a refund... "Not allowed on downloaded software" Now what... I have a "boat-anchor" loaded on my computer...

As a newbie I was informed of the software-author's integrity, his contributions to this and other venues, and how the hobby had benefited from his knowledge. So I am here to ask for a little more help than the READMe file offers to get this thing working...

FLUBBER

You posted what appears to be a support request into the "Download Links" subforum, which is for download links. I've moved it here so it will get an answer.

I'm a NEWBIE in the sim-World... I was having some trouble building key shortcuts and someone suggested I purchase FSUIP4. Bought it, downloaded it, loaded it, registered it, Didn't work...

"Didn't work" in what way? What was your purpose in buying it? For many uses it doesn't need purchasing and registering, and you could have read everything about what it does beforehand just by installing it and browsing the extensive deocumentation. But one thing it certainly doesn't do is "build key shortcuts" for you -- I don't even really know what that means. Are you talking about assigning keypresses?

READMe revelation: Several people have had issues because of Virus Utilities, firewalls etc, but there is nothing beyond a few suggestions of a work-around, and what if none of them work (My situation ) Tried for a refund... "Not allowed on downloaded software" Now what... I have a "boat-anchor" loaded on my computer...

Er, sorry, but you need to explain what you mean by all that. What is this "readme" you are talking about?

As clearly stated in the Installation guide included in the ZIP (no "readme" there), the documentation is placed with lots of other "goodies" in the FSUIPC Documents foder in your FS Modules folder. The User Guide is the place to start (and which might have been a good thing to read BEFORE purchase?)

As a newbie I was informed of the software-author's integrity, his contributions to this and other venues, and how the hobby had benefited from his knowledge. So I am here to ask for a little more help than the READMe file offers to get this thing working...

Again, what "README file" are you talking about? The ZIP contains the Installer and an Installation and Registration guide (a PDF). That document points you to where the main User Guide and Advanced User guides are. There's no README file!

FSUIPC doesn't need to be "got working". It is a tool. By itself it does nothing. It is either used by other add-ons, in which case you don't need to know about it, or it is used by you in whatever way you want to use it out of its assorted capabilities.

If you are reallly meaning you've had some installation problems or something else which stops you even progressing to the menu, then please actually say so and describe it. There will then be information I need from you to find out why. So far you've unfortunately provided no useful information at all, so I can't even start to help.

Starting off here with your first message phrased is such an suspicious and accusatory tone isn't a good start . Let's calm down and be reasonable, stating what the problem is in a clear fashion. As a "newbie" you might not yet understand that being friendly is likely to get you a lot more enthusiastic help in your chosen hobby.

Regards

Pete

You posted what appears to be a support request into the "Download Links" subforum, which is for download links. I've moved it here so it will get an answer.

"Didn't work" in what way? What was your purpose in buying it? For many uses it doesn't need purchasing and registering, and you could have read everything about what it does beforehand just by installing it and browsing the extensive deocumentation. But one thing it certainly doesn't do is "build key shortcuts" for you -- I don't even really know what that means. Are you talking about assigning keypresses?

Er, sorry, but you need to explain what you mean by all that. What is this "readme" you are talking about?

As clearly stated in the Installation guide included in the ZIP (no "readme" there), the documentation is placed with lots of other "goodies" in the FSUIPC Documents foder in your FS Modules folder. The User Guide is the place to start (and which might have been a good thing to read BEFORE purchase?)

Again, what "README file" are you talking about? The ZIP contains the Installer and an Installation and Registration guide (a PDF). That document points you to where the main User Guide and Advanced User guides are. There's no README file!

FSUIPC doesn't need to be "got working". It is a tool. By itself it does nothing. It is either used by other add-ons, in which case you don't need to know about it, or it is used by you in whatever way you want to use it out of its assorted capabilities.

If you are reallly meaning you've had some installation problems or something else which stops you even progressing to the menu, then please actually say so and describe it. There will then be information I need from you to find out why. So far you've unfortunately provided no useful information at all, so I can't even start to help.

Starting off here with your first message phrased is such an suspicious and accusatory tone isn't a good start . Let's calm down and be reasonable, stating what the problem is in a clear fashion. As a "newbie" you might not yet understand that being friendly is likely to get you a lot more enthusiastic help in your chosen hobby.

Regards

Pete

My apologies to all... I didn't pick the username, Flubber for nothing...

It was late, I was frustrated (had other issues going on) with installations, etc... There is, in fact a readme file... Where did it come from? Evidently in the freeware download... and is dated 2007... I'll forward it to anyone interested in seeing it.. I had downloaded that first, earlier in the day, and when I loaded the Registered copy, it remained in the folder... After re-examining everything, reloading some things and looking at it with a fresh outlook, I was able to install it and access the "add-on" in the menu... Now for some more reading...

Again... My apologies... and thank you for your responses...

Flubber...

There is, in fact a readme file... Where did it come from? Evidently in the freeware download... and is dated 2007

There's no separate "freeware" and "registered" download. They are one and the same. The only difference is whether you actually register or not.

And there's only two proper sources for downloading FSUIPC: the www.schiratti.com/dowson page, which is the official place as linked to in the SimMarket purchase pages. The other is here in he Download Links subforum, where you can get the same thing AND, often, later interim updates.

Except for some products in which a copy of FSUIPC is bundled, there are actually no other places where you can legitimately obtain FSUIPC. I'd be very interested to find out where you got that one with your "README" file, if you can remember, please.

when I loaded the Registered copy, it remained in the folder

Yes. FSUIPC installation never deletes anything, it only replaces the DLL (if it the install version is the same or a later version) and updates documentation.

After re-examining everything, reloading some things and looking at it with a fresh outlook, I was able to install it and access the "add-on" in the menu.

Okay, that's good. If you do get stuck I am here much of the time.

Pete

There's no separate "freeware" and "registered" download. They are one and the same. The only difference is whether you actually register or not.

And there's only two proper sources for downloading FSUIPC: the www.schiratti.com/dowson page, which is the official place as linked to in the SimMarket purchase pages. The other is here in he Download Links subforum, where you can get the same thing AND, often, later interim updates.

Except for some products in which a copy of FSUIPC is bundled, there are actually no other places where you can legitimately obtain FSUIPC. I'd be very interested to find out where you got that one with your "README" file, if you can remember, please.

Yes. FSUIPC installation never deletes anything, it only replaces the DLL (if it the install version is the same or a later version) and updates documentation.

Okay, that's good. If you do get stuck I am here much of the time.

Pete

I Found the ZIP file in my download folder and confirmed there was a README in there... Then I looked at my history and found what I thought was the place that I downloaded it from, (http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1689/fsx-fsuipc-409/get/) so I downloaded again to confirm that, but it overwrote the zip file I already had and the new one didn't have the file... But so ya'll don't think I'm crazy... ( And I'm beginning to doubt my on sanity at this point) Here is the file's text in it's entirety :

USERS WITH AXIS ASSIGNMENTS IN FSUIPC4, SEE IMPORTANT NOTES AT THE END!

=======================================================================

IMPORTANT

=========

BEFORE going on to install FSUIPC4, please note the following SEVERE

problems which have been reported by folks using third party firewall,

anti-virus, privacy and other security programs.

All of these stem from the SimConnect part of FSX, which FSUIPC4 and other

add-ons use to talk to FSX. SimConnect uses the Internet TCP/IP protocol

to talk to FSX, and the Security programs insert hooks into this path

which can adversely affect SimConnect's operation.

Problem Type 1

--------------

FSUIP4 installs okay, it says its okay, but you load FSX and still find no

"Add-Ons" menu. FSUIPC4 logs prove that FSUIPC4 is running okay, but that

it never gets any information from SimConnect.

This has been reported by several folks. In some cases it is simply a

matter of telling the firewall or privacy program to trust FSX, to move it

to the trusted and internet zones.

However, in other cases the only solution found by the users was to

uninstall their security software and either install an alternative or to

reinstall the same package but with fewer options. For example, one user

found that the McAfee "privacy" service can give problems but reinstalling

without that fixes them. The free versions of AVG and AVAST programs seem

to be okay according to reports.

Problem Type 2

--------------

FSUIPC4 installs okay, and there's an Add-Ons menu. But joystick control

is bad. There seems to be a growing delay in the response, working its way

up from 5 to as much as 30 seconds!

This won't happen in this version of FSUIPC4, unless you Register. Then,

if the problem occurs there's a parameter provided in the INI file which

can avoid the problem -- at a cost of losing FSUIPC4 facilities. (Details

are in the History document).

However, avoidance is not really a good solution. The problem is still

that SimConnect is having great difficulties talking to FSX. This will

adversely affect almost all FSX add-ons, not just FSUIPC4 and those using

it. Getting SimConnect working well may be essential to your future

enjoyment of FSX.

Unfortunately, the cure at present is the same as for Problem 1:

uninstall/reinstall/option changes in your Security programs and their

settings.

Problem Type 3

--------------

One user only (so far) has reported getting a dreaded "Blue Screen Of

Death" when trying to start FSX after installing FSUIPC4. This seemed

different, but it also turned out to be the same problem. In this case it

was ZoneAlarm -- when that was uninstalled, everything worked.

Conclusion

----------

I am using Norton Anti-virus and Windows XP Firewall, and there are no

problems. There are other solutions, but they are as varied as the number

of different packages times the number of options they contain.

The longer term solution to all this MUST lie in dealing with it in

SimConnect somehow. Microsoft have responded to the general problem of

firewall permissions by posting this:

http://www.fsinsider.com/Community/News-Articles/Block-It-Or-Not.htm

INSTALLATION

============

To install FSUIPC4 please place the "Install FSUIPC4.exe" program on your

desktop, or in any handy folder, and run it (double click it).

When it has installed, which it will do very quickly, you will find a

Modules folder in your FSX installation, and additional documents will

be found there.

If the installer hits any problems, check the on-screen log. You can save

this log as a text or log file for including in any error report or

question on the Support Forum.

Any questions or problems, please visit the Support Forum:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=54

It will be worth your while visiting there occasionally in any case. The

Announcements section will tell of new versions, and you will also be

able to download interim updates, additional programs, and get lots of

advice.

Good flying!

REGISTRATION under Windows Vista

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to Register FSUIPC4 (or WideFS7) as a paid-up user you need to

run FSX in "Administrator" mode -- the privileges of an Administrator

are needed for Registry access. On Windows Vista the "ordinary"

Administrator doesn't appear to have enough privilege and you may need

to use the right-click "Run As ..." option to run FSX in order to register.

Under Vista, FSUIPC4's INI, LOG and KEY files are placed in the Flight

Simulator X Files folder (as translated for non-English versions), in

your Documents folder. This is where FSX's flight files are saved.

UNREGISTERED USERS with Add-On Fly-By-Wire Aircraft (e.g. PSS Airbus)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that by default an unregistered copy of FSUIPC4 does not incercept Axis

controls at present. This is to avoid problems reported by some folks of

severe slow-downs of axis responses through Simconnect. However, with

fly-by-wire add-on aircraft using FSUIPC, this can actually result in no

control at all via aileron and elevator inputs. In this case please re-enable

axis intercepts by setting:

AxisIntercepts=Yes

in the [General] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file.

AXIS ASSIGNMENTS -- CHANGES RESULTING FROM USE OF DIRECTINPUT:

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Axis Assignment system now uses DirectInput instead of the old

Windows joystick API. This has several advantages:

1. Up to 8 analogue axes are now seen and can be assigned: these are the

usual X, Y, Z, R, U, V (with the last three being known, in DirectX

usage, as Rz, Rx and Ry, respectively), plus two "sliders", known here

as S and T.

2. Up to 4 "Point-Of-view" hats (POVs) are seen, and can also be assigned

like axes, though not calibrated. They give values from 0 to 35900

(RAW) or 0 to 359 (processed), but mostly only with the 4 or 8 cardinal

points ((0, 45, 90, etc), plus -1 for "centred" or "off". They can be

assigned to the PAN VIEW control, which is what FS would normally do,

or be programmed to do different controls at each point like buttons -

but in the right-hand part of the Axis Assignments dialogue.

There are two relatively minor disadvantages, though - but only for those

who are already using the axis assignment facilities:

1. The calibrated (and even Raw) values may be different to those obtained

before, for the same axes, necessitating re-calibrating or even

re-programming where notches or controls are assigned, and

2. Some axes may actually be labelled differently by DirectInput. In

particular this will apply to those controllers with sliders or wheels

previously used for throttles and seen as Axis 'Z'. These will often

now actually be seen as a slider, so being 'S' or even 'T' in FSUIPC4's

naming.

JOYSTICK CALIBRATIONS -- CHANGES IN "REVERSE" OPTION

-------------------------------------------------------------

In this version the joystick Calibration 'REV' facility, to reverse the

direction of the lever or knob used to input the axis values, is made to

reverse the INPUT values instead of the OUTPUT ones. This should make it

much easier to calibrate things like Spoiler ARM and Flap detente positions

on levers operating in reverse.

Note, however, that there is a possibility that this change may upset

some existing calibration settings where REV has been used. Therefore,

when you install this update, please go through each of your

FSUIPC-calibrated axes and recheck any with the 'REV' option checked.

--------------------------------------------

Peter L. Dowson, 2nd April 2007

I Found the ZIP file in my download folder and confirmed there was a README in there... Then I looked at my history and found what I thought was the place that I downloaded it from, (http://flyawaysimula...fsuipc-409/get/)

That links to a site which is offering version 4.09 (!!!), which was a VERY early version, soon after FSUIPC4 was made and released and which certainly wouldn't work with an updated FSX and probably wouldn't install by iteslef in any case. The "readme" appears to be a quote from a FAQ entry which used to be here, long ago. I don't know who put that ZIP together, and i don't know why that site is still hosting such an out of date and invalid version. Seems really daft. Most such sites simply link to the proper one.

It is always best to go to official sites. It seems I cannot stop folks putting things elsewhere, but then I can't support stuff downloaded from those places.

Glad you got it sorted now in any case. And thanks for the info.

Pete