The simFlight Network Forums

Windows 8.1 G3D.dll Issue

Hello,

As long as I've used FSUIPC in the past, including with the RTM version of Windows 8, I have not had a single G3D.dll crash. However, on the 8.1 Preview (upcoming update for Windows 8), I get a fatal error right before FSX would normally be loading the main menu. I am curious if this could potentially be fixed via a future update to FSUIPC, or if 8.1 will be the end of being able to run FSX on the latest version of Windows.

In case it is of any use, here is the error log from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c1699
Faulting process id: 0x16b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce7378914b6ed7
Faulting application path: C:\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\FSX\g3d.dll
Report Id: ddeb18e1-df6b-11e2-bf4e-002215eead5a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks in advance.

As long as I've used FSUIPC in the past, including with the RTM version of Windows 8, I have not had a single G3D.dll crash. However, on the 8.1 Preview (upcoming update for Windows :cool:, I get a fatal error right before FSX would normally be loading the main menu. I am curious if this could potentially be fixed via a future update to FSUIPC, or if 8.1 will be the end of being able to run FSX on the latest version of Windows.

I doubt if it is specifically to do with Windows 8 or 8.1, just a result of a slightly different memory arrangement. It still means a problem either with overloaded memory or scenery conflicts which G3D.DLL cannot correctly resolve.

FSUIPC cannot hook into every part of G3D.DLL which may or may not crash due to such memory corruption. There is only one very specific crash which it patches around. Every other one I've looked at is too complex, no way out of the routine which crashes. The simple one actually fixed is merely a TRUE or FALSE test and it was easy to patch in a FALSE exit when the conditions showed a crash would otherwise occur, resulting in a minor loss of perhaps one or a few scenery artefacts which go unnoriced.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the quick response. It's interesting how everything was fine on 8, but not 8.1. Hopefully this is just something with the operating system itself that will be fixed. Microsoft Flight crashes prior to the UI loading as well, but with a kernel32.dll error. Perhaps it is happening on both FSX and Flight for a similar reason. Sadly, if it is just an issue with these two programs, I don't see Microsoft fixing it.

Thanks for the quick response. It's interesting how everything was fine on 8, but not 8.1. Hopefully this is just something with the operating system itself that will be fixed. Microsoft Flight crashes prior to the UI loading as well, but with a kernel32.dll error. Perhaps it is happening on both FSX and Flight for a similar reason.

Sounds suspiciously like bugs in 8.1 then. You did say it was a "Preview" (just a fancy name for a Beta, getting users to test it). I assume you are saying "yes" when it asks whether to send crash details to MS!?

Pete

I would say it probably is a bug with 8.1. It never asks to send a report to Microsoft, however, if I view Problem Reports (found by searching for it under Start), the FSX crash is on the list and it says that the report was sent. So it would appear that reports are automatically sent now (probably configurable during the OS installation).