The simFlight Network Forums

MakeRunways on widefs

Mr Dowson, greetings.

I am having a small issue on FSX with the MakeRunways application.

I use IYP and am attempting to update the Local Airport Database.

My version of FSUIPC is 4.90   My version of WideFS on the client machine is 6.995 (reported by wideClient log)

WideFS connects to FSUIPC fine and IYP will work happily through all the checklists and works with the flight and all aircraft controls.  The issue I am having is with the build local airport database which uses MakeRunways.

Makerunways is reporting as version 4.60 when it runs.

Computers are both windows 7 pro x-64 connected through a private LAN on a workgroup and I have amended the WideFS ini file to add:-

ServerName=NameOfServer

Protocol=TCP

I have no AntiVirus running between the machines, and there is no windows firewall operating on the private LAN

I have added a fair amount of additional scenery and now have a file of 177 Scenery layers which is read correctly by FSX.  I have validated this cfg file and checked to ensure there are no errors in numbering of layers.

I have IYP installed on both the server and the client for use at different times depending on what I am doing.

When I update the Local Airport Database directly on the server (with FSX installed on it) it reads the scenery.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg  and correctly builds a file using 177 scenery layers.

When I update the Local Area Database on the Client machine (through WideFS) it reads the scenery.cfg in the installed directory of FSX, which in my case is D:\Flight Simulator X\scenery.cfg and builds a file based on 120 scenery areas (the default delivered cfg)

In each case, the runways.txt runways.xml and runways.csv are all generated correctly with either 177 or 120 scenery layers in each.

I hope that I have provided enough info to perhaps generate some thoughts on this, and will happily provide more if needed, and am sure it is something stupid on my part and would appreciate any help you can give.

Regards

Graham Evans

When I update the Local Area Database on the Client machine (through WideFS) it reads the scenery.cfg in the installed directory of FSX, which in my case is D:\Flight Simulator X\scenery.cfg and builds a file based on 120 scenery areas (the default delivered cfg)

You must either always run MakeRunways on the FS PC, or, if that isn't possible for any reason, first copy the real scenery CFG file to the FS folder. This is because MakeRunways has to use the Registry in order to locate the correct scenery file, and it can only read the Registry on the PC on which it runs.

MakeRunways will also be very very slow running on any PC other than the one with FS because it has to read every single scenery file.

Incidentally, the current supported version of MakeRunways is 4.65. I have a 4.661 ready to release but at present, due to a change in SimFlight servers, I cannot update any programs.

Regards

Pete