The simFlight Network Forums

g3d.dll error

Hi,

I am using Prepar3D. Unfortunately I cannot complete any long flight using the Aerosoft's Airbus X Extended (latest version+latest hotfix).

I don't know yet whether this error happens only with this aircraft, it is something I am planning to test. However your help would be extremely helpful to my research.

For reference of the error, I have done twice the same route from Athens to Paris with the AXE A321, and I get a crash somewhere between Switzerland and France. 

Windows Event Viewer reporter the following both times:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 1.4.4747.0, time stamp: 0x50253a53
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50253ab4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00047a93
Faulting process id: 0x9ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce7e56c93eb862
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\g3d.dll
Report Id: 31d85fed-ea5e-11e2-ade6-902b34da42e2

The simulator displayed and error and restarted losing the flight of course.

Of course I use the latest FSUIPC module (registered version). I am aware that FSUIPC is supposed to have eliminated the p3d.dll errors that's why it's the place I thought I might get some directions. 
I use a good machine overclocked at 4.4Ghz, and I use photoscenery for my flights. In this flight there was no photoscenery only under Italy.

Any help would be really welcomed.

Best regards,
Ifikratis

EDIT: Just did the same route with the Captain Sim 777, and the sim crashed at the same location with the same g3d.dll ctd

Remove the photoscenery and redo the flight and I bet you don't get the crash anymore. I have had similar experiences over the last 7 or 8 years as I am a big fan of photo scenery products (or I was at least), I also used to get the same errors and other crashes from time to time. Since removing all photo scenery products I very rarely get any crashes of any kind now.

By the way FSUIPC does not stop all G3D.dll crashes, it only fixes a specific kind of crash that happens to be the most common g3d crash, but it won't stop all of them, this is explained in the documentation.

If you still get crashes with the photo scenery removed then it is probably some other scenery you are flying near that is causing a crash, such as an addon airport or maybe even a mesh product, try disabling them systematically and retest until you no longer get a crash, you should be able to find the culprit like this.

Dear Andy,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I discovered the MissingLibraryAlert=1 tweak and applied it under [scenery] in my .cfg. Unfortunately I did not got any message and the sim crashed again at the exact same location as before.

I am going now to disable the photoscenery under the area I am getting the g3d.dll crash and see what happens. It is quite boring procedure as the flight time from Athens to the crash point (over Switzerland) is about 2 hours long..

Save a flight (in an aircraft that supports saves) at a time that is approximately 15 minutes previous to the point where you expect a crash, perhaps in a default aircraft, it may help alleviate the boredom a little, lol. Make sure you reboot the PC after disabling the scenery area in question as FS still caches some scenery even though its been disabled in the mean time, even after closing FSX believe it or not, rebooting is the only way to clear it for certain.

Thank you again. Right now I am doing the same flight with .cfg deleted and recreated without tweaks. I read somewhere that a default cfg may stop the CTDs.

If that fails, i will start disabling photosceneries and airports underneath the CTD area. I hope the problem to be fixed. I have lost nearly 4 days investigating these crashes.

I am afraid it may not be something so specific, because I got a crash 3 times some days ago when flying to Ben Gurion, Israel.

So, the tweaked cfg producing the crashes would be the best possible scenario...