The simFlight Network Forums

Not receiving GPSout data with Anywheremap & FSUIPC

If anyone could help. I've been using FSUIPC  & GPS out/ini. for the past 6 yrs  with my anywhere map & Ipaq 4700 with no problem in FS 2004. I know the settings for the GPSini. file etc. I have also used FSUIPC registered with FSX since March with no problem. 

All that was with Windows XP. Recently I had to upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I have applied all the same setting as I  did in windows xp . Neither FS2004 or FSX will put out GPS data to my Anywhere map GPS. I am running as administrator. Using Windows mobile device center to sync the PC & my Ipaq. Kill wescomm, all the steps I did in Wind XP. It seems as though the PC does not see the Ipaq.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John :neutral:

Edited by john350

All that was with Windows XP. Recently I had to upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I have applied all the same setting as I  did in windows xp . Neither FS2004 or FSX will put out GPS data to my Anywhere map GPS. I am running as administrator. Using Windows mobile device center to sync the PC & my Ipaq. Kill wescomm, all the steps I did in Wind XP. It seems as though the PC does not see the Ipaq.

If the device isn't seen by Windows and assigned either a COM port or a name, then there is no way GPSout can send anything to it.

Maybe the name or port is different? Or maybe Windows is autoloading some other driver software which takes over the device, as an interface sepcific to that sort of device (may to that "wescomm" program you mention?). In the latter case you'd need to find it and terminate it too in order to free up the port. I remember I used to have to do that with a Garmin device I had once.

Sorry, I can't be much more help. There will be a way, but I can't find it from here.

BTW running anything other than installers "as administrator" is rarely necessary and often a bad idea.

Regards

Pete

If the device isn't seen by Windows and assigned either a COM port or a name, then there is no way GPSout can send anything to it.

Maybe the name or port is different? Or maybe Windows is autoloading some other driver software which takes over the device, as an interface sepcific to that sort of device (may to that "wescomm" program you mention?). In the latter case you'd need to find it and terminate it too in order to free up the port. I remember I used to have to do that with a Garmin device I had once.

Sorry, I can't be much more help. There will be a way, but I can't find it from here.

BTW running anything other than installers "as administrator" is rarely necessary and often a bad idea.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete thanks for the response.

What I was wondering is if there is something I should be doing diff in Windows7. The GPS out worked in FS2004 & The later registered version of FSUIPC 4.88  worked in FSX, BTW I just purchased that in March. All worked fine and I' m using the same exact settings and including the suggested com port for AWM & Ipaq 4700.

Is there something diff about Wind 7 that may be the issue 

Thanks

John

What I was wondering is if there is something I should be doing diff in Windows7.

Not as far as FSUIPC and GPSout is concerned. All it needs is the port name so it can open it through Windows. If Win7 isn't seeing it as a COM or USB device, then it most certainly can't be connected to. If it is a COM device, then use the port number you find. USB devices acting like COM devices usually have the sort of name I mention as an example in the documentation -- but the name in Win7 may well be different to that in XP.

The GPS out worked in FS2004 & The later registered version of FSUIPC 4.88  worked in FSX, BTW I just purchased that in March.

4.88 is no longer supported. You should be using 4.90 or later now. You don't purchase a specific FSUIPC4, and only current versions are supported.

All worked fine and I' m using the same exact settings and including the suggested com port for AWM & Ipaq 4700.

"Suggested com port"? That's rarely the same from one PC to another let alone different versions of Windows. Haven't you checked to see what it might now be?

Is there something diff about Wind 7 that may be the issue 

Yes. The COM port might be different. But no, no difference as far as GPSout itself is concerned.

Pete

Pete do you know to determine which com port should be used?  When I was running Wind XP COM 9 was the suggested port.

I don't know anyone not at your PC could suggest' a port blindly. The association of port numbers to USB or RS232 sockets is specific to the hardware arrangement, the number of other devices also connected, and, as you've found, the version of Windows.

To find out where it is connected go the the Windows' Device Manager (in the Control Panel) and open up the entry "Ports (COM & LPT). If there's only one entry, that's probably it, but one way to be sure is to unplug it, refresh that display (Actions menu, scan for hardware change) and see which one has disappeared, the reconnect and rescan to be sure.

Pete

Pete,

I determined that my iPAq which is connected to USB is being recognized by Windows. I located it in device manager.  The location is listed as Location:  Port_#0001.Hub_#0002.  I don't know if this is the port name you refer to.  Since I am connecting through USB, I have always had to set the port=  \\.\WCEUSBSH001 in GPSOUT settings in FSX add-on.  You mentioned the port might have a new name to use for Win7.  Do you know another port name I should use?  I don't know if it is the port location I listed above or what the syntax would be.

Thanks

John

I determined that my iPAq which is connected to USB is being recognized by Windows. I located it in device manager.  The location is listed as Location:  Port_#0001.Hub_#0002.  I don't know if this is the port name you refer to.  Since I am connecting through USB, I have always had to set the port=  \\.\WCEUSBSH001 in GPSOUT settings in FSX add-on.

Now I am confused. You said "When I was running Wind XP COM 9 was the suggested port.", but now you say you did not use a COM port name but \\.\WCEUSBSH001? How is this?

You mentioned the port might have a new name to use for Win7.  Do you know another port name I should use?  I don't know if it is the port location I listed above or what the syntax would be.

Nor do I, I'm afraid.  All I'm aware of is what was supplied by another user, i.e. this:

Use with PDAs on a USB connection

=================================

I've received the following information which may help those with only USB connections on their Pocket PC:

[From David Griersom, with thanks]

Replace whatever COM4/COM3/etc entry you have next to Port= in the ini with "\\.\WCEUSBSH001", ie,

Port=\\.\WCEUSBSH001

(For several serial USB devices, they might need 002, 003 etc instead of 001).

Then kill ActiveSync on both the PC and PocketPC, fire up your PocketPC GPS

software and select COM9/USB as your GPS reciever from within the PocketPC

software. Start up FS and hopefully everything should be working together.

David tried this with a Medion PDA (rebranded Mitac Mio 168) and a friends HP

iPAQ without problems, and at baud rates up to 19200 (he can't remember the

specific value but it was close to that) using both the Medion Navigator (for

cars) software and the PocketFMS software. Apparently both worked particularly

well.

Maybe this is where the "COM9" confusion comes in - the port at the device end?

All I can suggest is to try the sccessive numbers, 002, 003 etc as suggested. In fact, if the "Port_#0001.Hub_#0002" relates to the name to be used, the Hnnn part might well be H002 after the Hub number. Worth a try?

[LATER]

After a bit of Googling, it transpires that the device naming "WCEUSBSHnnn" derives from the use of a Windows USB driver "WCEUSBSH.SYS",, which is not included in Vista or later. Apparently these now use WinUSB.sys. Now I've no idea how to determine the device names it needs. Maybe \\.\WINEUSB001, etc?

I'm afraid I have no suitable devces to try this out on.

Reading further, it looks like the device name might be found in the Registry, but it's in a section according to its GUID and I've no idea how you'd find that. Maybe search for "Port_#0001.Hub_#0002" in the Registry? Or maybe even that is the name already, i.e. \\.\Port_#0001.Hub_#0002 ?

Regards

Pete