The simFlight Network Forums

Calibration settings

Hello all

Can someone enlighten me please?

I'm in the most happy with the calibration of my home made control column/yoke but have one question.

The dead zone on the elevator differs from when I take off to approach.

Example: At VR I have to pull back the column quite some distance before lift off yet on approach I am finding there is virtually no dead zone so it is difficult

to control the descent smoothly.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Alan W

Example: At VR I have to pull back the column quite some distance before lift off yet on approach I am finding there is virtually no dead zone so it is difficult

to control the descent smoothly.

Whether there is a "dead zone" or not is completely up to you in your calibration. The main use of a dead zone is simply to ensure that when you take your hands off the controls the position the controls go to is always neutral ("zero"). If your controls always return to exactly the same place when you release them, then you are very fortunate, and you really need no dead zone.

What you might be confusing it with is sensitivity. To get a graduated sensitivity, with movements near the centre being worth less in terms of control surface movements, then you should be using a slope with a flattened central zone, maybe instead of a "dead zone" altogether.

When you say

This must be something to do with the way you are interpreting things, because there is never any change in the calibration or dead zone imposed unless you actively change it. Maybe you are approaching at too high a speed, which would certainly make the effect of control movements more severe. Also, on approach you are using more flaps than during takeoff, and with more flaps (= more wing surface) everything becomes more exaggerated.

Regards

Pete

Hello again Pete

Forgot to ask and forgive me if I'm being ignorant but you mention sensitivities, I've read the manual-correct me if I'm wrong-it mentions

setting the sensitivities in FS, I tried this but each time I go back to check they are never set as I left them.

Does the slope option in FSUIPC act as the sensitivity here? Might sound a silly question but if I don't ask I won't know.

Regards

Alan

Forgot to ask and forgive me if I'm being ignorant but you mention sensitivities, I've read the manual-correct me if I'm wrong-it mentions

setting the sensitivities in FS, I tried this but each time I go back to check they are never set as I left them.

If you are calibrating in FSUIPC, set FS sensitivity to maximum and dead zone to minimum. If you are assigning in FSUIPC, the FSX sliders have no effect in any case. If you are still assigning in FS then the sliders should stay where you set them, for sure.

Does the slope option in FSUIPC act as the sensitivity here?

More so that the FS method, certainly. The FS "sensitivity" slider simply reduces the effect of the axis -- so instead of it operating from full down to full up (for instance) it only operates for part of that  range. This makes it MORE sensitive in the range it allows control over, but doesn't allow you to reach the extremes when you need them.

The "slopes" facility in FSUIPC calibration allows more sensitivity in centre and less on the extremes, or, more usefully, vice versa (the flattened central area i mentioned). Just choose a slope and try it. For general use with most aircraft a slightly flattened central area seems best to me. You can't do that with FS alone.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete

Hope you don't mind-one more question-differential brakes/brakes this time-when depressing the toe brakes the aircraft has a tendency to veer one way or the other, I understand that more pressure can be applied

by the left or right leg but I find myself constantly compensating the 'veer' off by manipulating the steering tiller.

Have you any 'tips or tricks' that may alleviate this?

Thank you

Regards

Alan W

Hope you don't mind-one more question-differential brakes/brakes this time-when depressing the toe brakes the aircraft has a tendency to veer one way or the other, I understand that more pressure can be applied

by the left or right leg but I find myself constantly compensating the 'veer' off by manipulating the steering tiller.

Have you any 'tips or tricks' that may alleviate this?

You should be able to balance the toe brakes without needing to also adjust with the tiller. It's quite often that to pedals don't equate exactly, but rather than use the tiller just apply more or less pressure on the relevant toe brake. You can also apply a "slope" to make them less sensitive initially, progressively more severe.

Pete