The simFlight Network Forums

Question on Feasibility of Add-on for Tuning Radios

Currently setting frequencies or codes into the Com, Nav , ADF, and Transponder is cumbersome at best using the keyboard or mouse. The mouse radio hot spots are often difficult to use when flying (at least for me), and the keyboard tuning method ( using the + and - keys) is not particularly convenient either. What would be convenient, I think, is to key in the radio you want to tune ( e.g., C1, N2, T, etc) and then be able to enter the frequency (or code) numbers directly as a 4 or 5 number sequence (depending on the radio) using the keyboard number keys. And so my question to those who have the experience to know is, does this sound like a difficult programing task? Could the macro capability of FSUIPC4 be used to do this somewhat conveniently, at least for an a/c with a basic radio stack like in the C172?
Thanks,
Al                     

I believe someone already did this via Lua Scripts and FSUIPC, I remember reading about it on the AVSIM forums, I even remember the guys username. Try searching there for the username "Dazz" and the term "Radio", I think that should find you what you are looking for.

EDIT;

Never mind found it for you, I've no idea whether it works or not as I have a hardware radio panel so I don't need this facility.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/336131-tuning-the-fsx-radios-with-the-numpad-of-your-keyboard/

Thank you very much for the help. I will give it a try.

Al

Update:

For anyone interested, the program referenced above is a free add-on called Num Pad Radio. Essentially you can select a radio ( Com 1 or 2, Nav 1 or 2, ADF 1 or 2, and Transponder) and enter the frequency directly using the Numpad. The latest version is available near the end of the AVSIM thread here.  You can use just about any keys to select the radios ( ie, you are not limited to the numpad for radio selection) as long as you first delete any potential key conflicts in FSX before reassigning them in FSUIPC4.
Al

You shouldn't be using the number keys across the top of your keyboard though, they are used by a multitude of FSX systems depending on what system you activated with a key modifier first i.e. when the ATC window is open and in focus the number keys correspond to the numbered options listed in the ATC window. When you press Shift + E if you then press number 3 at the top of the keyboard door number 3 will open/close. There are a multitude of other combinations too for many other systems.

You shouldn't be using the number keys across the top of your keyboard though, they are used by a multiple of FSX systems depending on what system you activated with a key modifier first i.e. when the ATC window is open and in focus the number keys correspond to the numbered options listed in the ATC window. When you press Shift + E if you then press number 3 at the top of the keyboard door number 3 will open/close. There are a multitude of other combinations too for many other systems.

Good point about the number keys. I use the num pad to enter the frequency digits, and it looks like the program will not even respond to the number keys across the top of the keyboard. At least initially I'm usung the followig assignments:

C, N, T, and Shift+F1 to select the Com, Nav, Transponder, and ADF radios, respectively, * (on the numpad) to turn the program on and off, X to load the standby frequency, and the Backspace key as Reset. I like the F in Shift+F1 to indicate the ADF and this key combo is apparently unused in FSX. If using the Backspace key can lead to problems ( I'm relatively new to FSX) then maybe the / numpad key would be a good alternative for Reset.

Thanks again for the help.

Al