The simFlight Network Forums

Setting weather through FSUIPC

Hello,

I have two questions about weather setting through FSUIPC:

1) Currently I use the METAR description to modify the weather on an airport. It works fine. However, when the plane is airborned, And that I want to change the weather, I specify for exemple the destination airport in my METAR, but it does not seems to change anything. Should I be on ground for changing weather ? When in flight, should I modify METAR of all nearest airports ?

2) In a METAR it is not possible to specify the depth of a cloud layer, but only the base of the cloud. What should I do to specify 2 clouds layers (or more) with the depth of each one ?

Thank you for your help !

Paul-Henri

• 2 weeks later...
1) Currently I use the METAR description to modify the weather on an airport. It works fine. However, when the plane is airborned, And that I want to change the weather, I specify for exemple the destination airport in my METAR, but it does not seems to change anything. Should I be on ground for changing weather ? When in flight, should I modify METAR of all nearest airports ?

No. Whether you are on the ground or flying does not affect weather setting.

When you say you are using the METAR description, do you mean the SimConnect METAR format for FSX, or are you decoding a METAR and using the binary data methods, perhaps in FS9? you don't even say which Flight Sim you are using.

How are you detecting that nothing is changing? Are you at the Destination when you set this destination weather?

Whether you want to continually change weather for all near airports is surely up to you. You could simply set all the weather at the start or modify it as you fly. Different weather add-ons work differently. It may be smoother to set them the once at the start, but remember the FS weather is dynamic -- it will change in any case (there is a rate of change slider in FS's weather options, but even at minimum it still changes).

2) In a METAR it is not possible to specify the depth of a cloud layer, but only the base of the cloud. What should I do to specify 2 clouds layers (or more) with the depth of each one ?

In FSX it is not possible to specify cloud depth. FSX decides that for itself depending on cloud type. It's a major deficiciency which they were supposed to correct but didn't get around to it. This doesn't stop you having multiple layers though.

Pete

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your reply !

Sorry for the miss information. In fact I send simConnect METAR format to FSX through FSUIPC.What I'd like to do is to set the departure wheather and adjust the arrival weather about 20 mn before landing. For example, I take off from Nice (LFMN in France) to Bastia (LFKB in France) with a visibility over 10 Km and a ceiling at 8000 ft. 20 minutes before landing I send a METAR of LFKB with a different visibility and ceiling, but it does not seems to work. I the past I though the weather around the plane was built upon weather of vicinity airports, so that I though that perhaps I had to specify METAR of all nearest airport. From what I understand, this is not the case.

For multi layer, it's OK. I will specify several based (and/or several clouds type) and I should observe several layers.

Once again, many thank for your help Peter !

Best regards.

Paul-Henri