The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Pull Down Commands from Lua Script

Hi Pete, Just a quick question.

I understand how to call the pulldown items with their associated control number using the ipc.control(n) and ipc.control(n, param) from within a Lua script, but is there a way to call them by their descriptive pulldown name.

For example if I wanted to call (Zoom In) and (Zoom Out) from Lua, Can I do something like ipc.macro("Zoom In") or ipc.macro("Zoom Out")

I have tried this using the macro command but it doesn't seem to work, However it does not say in the manual that it would do that, I was just thinking that the pulldown items might have been like a macro in nature.

Anyhow have I missed something or is the only way to do this via the ipc.control(n) command, It would be a nice feature to be able to call them from Lua by descriptive names. 

Regards Glenn. 

I understand how to call the pulldown items with their associated control number using the ipc.control(n) and ipc.control(n, param) from within a Lua script, but is there a way to call them by their descriptive pulldown name.

For example if I wanted to call (Zoom In) and (Zoom Out) from Lua, Can I do something like ipc.macro("Zoom In") or ipc.macro("Zoom Out")

You#d need to define variables with those names, then use those. for instance:

ZoomIn = 65655

Zoomout = 65656

To have this pre-set for you in Lua for all 500-600 controls would take an extra 20k or more of stack space for each and every Lua plug-in running even if they used none of them. To do it using string names and have these looked up in a table could work okay but would be a lot slower. I'm really not sure it is worth it, especially since you'd usually need to look up the precise names in any case -- one character wrong and it would fail -- so if you are checking that from the document supplied you might as well use the number alongside it.

Regards

Pete