The simFlight Network Forums

Button+Switches Tab Doesn't Auto-Select Profile-Specific Settings

Hi Pete,

I was just noticing that when I have profile-specific settings applied to a specific aircraft for axes and/or joystick calibration, the "profile-specific" option is automatically enabled for me when I revisit those tabs. Any subsequent changes I make are automatically made to the aircraft profile bound to the aircraft I'm currently flying. This is great.

However, the Button+Switches tab does not behave this way. It always defaults to the global settings, even when I have previously created profile-specific buttons and switches for said aircraft. I must remember to tick "profile specific" every time I enter this tab or I inadvertantly end up changing my global button/switch bindings. Is there a reason this tab doesn't behave like the others and default to the profile-specific settings?

Not a huge deal, but this asymmetry in the behavior of the user-interface I find to be a little counter-intuitive.

As always, thanks for your great work.

J

However, the Button+Switches tab does not behave this way. It always defaults to the global settings, even when I have previously created profile-specific buttons and switches for said aircraft. I must remember to tick "profile specific" every time I enter this tab or I inadvertantly end up changing my global button/switch bindings. Is there a reason this tab doesn't behave like the others and default to the profile-specific settings?

Yes, there is a very important reason. All button, switches and Keypress assignments can be global or specific. The specific assignments override the global ones where they are to the same key or switch, but both sets are otherwise applicable. This is very useful because many many switch assignments will be common to a lot of aircraft and simulator functions irrespective of aircraft or profile.

This cannot be done with axis assignments and calibrations because, unlike buttons, switches and keys (which need pressing or switching), axes are active all of the time. You wouldn't want the base assignments to be interfering with the specific ones.

This difference is documented.

Regards

Pete