The simFlight Network Forums

"PFC 737NG cockpit" "Stab Trim Wheels"

Dear Mr. Dowson,

When I took over the maintenance of the  faculty, one of the reports of failures I received was that the "stick shaker" was not operational, activated randomly and not turning off, only after restarting the system, and that the "Stab Trim Wheels" turned to the limits when it engages the " P / A (MCP) ". After decoupling the "P / A", to the lowest trim command, "rocker switches" or manually, the flight attitude of the aircraft assumes indicated in the "stab trim indicator".

I checked that the installation of the various elements of the system was changed in an uncontrolled manner, not original aircraft, scenarios of unknown origin, versions of programs "Project Magenta" mixed and various configuration options MS flight Simulator aircraft and not installed proper operation proposal .

I checked that the electrical connections of the "stick shaker" and "Stab Trim" was disconnected. Redid the connections.

I installed from the OS to the original aircraft, "737 NG PFC".

Currently the configuration is installed:

Windows XP Professional SP3

MS Flight Simulator 2004 with "fs91upd"

MCP - Project Magenta - Build # 480

FSUIPC 3.999z

WideFS 6989

PFC.dll 2:41

After configuring the options and FSUIPC interface / PFC.dll as directed in the manuals, the "stick shaker" is functioning normally.

The "Stab Trim" no longer performs the action above reported. Using the "rocker switches", the operation is normal.

But he is inoperative during the action of the "P / A", and contacted the trim of the aircraft FSFS2004 works normally.

When disconnecting the P / A system adopts the attitude displayed in the "stab trim indicator".

I did not notice changes when alternating the option “DisconnTrimForAP”.

Using the "rocker switches", the operation is normal.

I appreciate any guidance on how I can find out what did not notice what is missing or is set to the "Stab Trim" becomes operational.

Thank you for your attention and good will.

Kind regards,

Maury Maia

Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande Do Sul

Faculty of Aeronautical Sciences

Laboratory

Edited by LabFaca

I appreciate any guidance on how I can find out what did not notice what is missing or is set to the "Stab Trim" becomes operational.

I'm very sorry, but I really cannot support PFC's systems myself. I've no idea what sort of hardware you have (you don't say, in fact), but it is really PFC's job to support it. The PFC driver certainly works okay and is in continuous use here in my PFC 737NG cockpit -- but with up to date Project Magenta modules and FSX, not FS9. You do realise that FS9 is now nearly 11 years old? I'm not in a position to help a lot with FS9 these days.

Stab trim is called elevator trim in FS, and you can assign a rocker to elev trim up and elev trim down, but you say that works, so I don't really understand youer question I'm afraid. I don't know what "P/A" is -- do you mean Autopilot (A/P)?

I can answer specific questions on FSUIPC or the PFC.DLL, but I can't support hardware systems which I know nothing about. Try PFC technical support in the first instance, please.

Regards

Pete

I don't know what "P/A" is -- do you mean Autopilot (A/P)?

Yes, the term is used in relation to the autopilot. I apologize for the mistake. Thought in Portuguese (Piloto Automático) and I wrote literally "P / A".

You do realise that FS9 is now nearly 11 years old? I'm not in a position to help a lot with FS9 these days.

We use FS9 for the sake of legal contract between the University and Microsoft. There is an agreement of license usage and in this specific case, the software version also is meeting our needs.

The license in question accompanied the equipment at the time of its acquisition, in 2006, and this unit has register of almost 14,000 hours of total operation.

I've no idea what sort of hardware you have (you don't say, in fact),...

The hardware utilizes a serial interface. For proper identification, what are the necessary information?

Stab trim is called elevator trim in FS, and you can assign a rocker to elev trim up and elev trim down, but you say that works, so I don't really understand youer question I'm afraid.

I have been informed that at the beginning, the trim system worked correctly.

After noting that:

How can compensate the attitude, in manual mode, operating in the the rockers switchs;

the interrupters of end course are working;

to the activate the "A / P", triggers the "Trim wheels";

and after shutting off the "A / P" and acting in the system physical, the new trim   position is recognized by FS9;

I'm checking if no is only one configuration error in the software interface to the system.

I'm very sorry, but I really cannot support PFC's systems myself.

... but it is really PFC's job to support it. 

Try PFC technical support in the first instance, please.

I am awaiting a return of Technical Support PFC, the more I believe it is more a question of configuration.

I can answer specific questions on FSUIPC or the PFC.DLL, but I can't support hardware systems which I know nothing about.

I don't rule out a malfunction of hardware, the equipment operates 12 hours per day at certain periods of the year, but first I have to exclude a disastrous intervention in the software.

Thank you for your guidance and assistance,

Kind regards,

Maury Maia

Laboratory

Edited by LabFaca

The hardware utilizes a serial interface. For proper identification, what are the necessary information?

I understand it uses a serial interface, otherwise you would not be using PFC.DLL. But I don't know what the hardware IS! Is is a 737NG cockpit? Or some other console, or a collection of individual pieces. I just have no idea what you are talking about, don't you see? PFC have made all sorts of things with serial interfaces.

I have been informed that at the beginning, the trim system worked correctly.

After noting that:

How can compensate the attitude, in manual mode, operating in the the rockers switchs;

the interrupters of end course are working;

to the activate the "A / P", triggers the "Trim wheels";

and after shutting off the "A / P" and acting in the system physical, the new trim   position is recognized by FS9;

I'm checking if no is only one configuration error in the software interface to the system.

So you have some sort of motor-driven trim as well as rockers?

So now perhaps you can say what the problem is, because I've not understood that yet at alll. Sorry.

I am awaiting a return of Technical Support PFC, the more I believe it is more a question of configuration.

I don't know how you'd determine this.

Pete

Dear Mr. Dowson,

The equipment is a cabin A.A.T. A.C.T. 737 PFC.

Below two pictures of the simulator.

IMG_20131008_161035.jpg

IMG_20131008_161139.jpg

... the "stick shaker" was not operational, activated randomly and not turning off, only after restarting the system, and that the "Stab Trim Wheels" turned to the limits when it engages the " P / A (MCP) ". After decoupling the "P / A", to the lowest trim command, "rocker switches" or manually, the flight attitude of the aircraft assumes indicated in the "stab trim indicator".

In the options screen interface "PFC.dll", I indicated the existence of Motor-driven for the stick shaker, and this is working correctly, and in relation to trim, he stopped to move the position at the end of the course, but does not function acts in conjunction with the A / P.

Using the "rocker switches", the operation of Stab Trim Wheels is normal.

Accept my apologies for i not being able to describe the situation in a simpler way.

Kind regards,

Maury Maia

Laboratory

The equipment is a cabin A.A.T. A.C.T. 737 PFC.

Below two pictures of the simulator..dll",

Aha! So it is a PFC 737NG cockpit, similar to the one I originally purchased -- though mine has been much modified with all sorts of changes by now.

... and in relation to trim, he stopped to move the position at the end of the course, but does not function acts in conjunction with the A / P.

So are you saying the trim wheel simply does not turn when the A/P is in pitch modes when it should? If this is what you mean, have you tried "starting" it by giving it a little turn when it should be turning by A/P control? Because there is a known problem with the PFC motor control which PFC have never been able to fix -- the A/P control of the trim motor needs a helping hand, a starting turn of the wheel by the user.

As far as I know this has always been the case ... mine has never 'auto-starte' from power up, but once it has started it operates okay for the rest of the session.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Dowson,

I apologize for the delay in returning your last message.

With your information, I performed some tests on the system and I noticed that shooting Trim Wheel keeps on happening.

When I assume the maintenance of simulator , the noise generated by potentiometers  of the controls (the originals installed by PFC) they were so significant, that there was no need to move commands for the system to recognize the existence of the interfaces.

For this reason, the trim respond immediately, without the need for external assistance.

The pots have been replaced by new and starting from this moment, to start the Power on, it is necessary to act on the commands and keys so as to prepare the system for it to work right away in training sessions.

The problem is that when you activate the A / P, and act manually on the trim wheel so that it is recognized, it begins to move in and only to its backstop. It does not assume the position given by MSFS or Project Magenta (do I not know who determines this situation).

Mr. Dowson, please, which the suggested settings for the "PFC.dll" and "FSUIPC" for use with the "PFC 737 '?

Therefore, if the problem persists I suppose that is a defect on the hardware.

I'm trying to renew contact with the PFC, I suppose they should not have received the first e-mail request for information.

Thank you for your attention.

With your information, I performed some tests on the system and I noticed that shooting Trim Wheel keeps on happening.

Sorry, I really don't know what that means.

When I assume the maintenance of simulator , the noise generated by potentiometers  of the controls (the originals installed by PFC) they were so significant, that there was no need to move commands for the system to recognize the existence of the interfaces.

For this reason, the trim respond immediately, without the need for external assistance.

The pots have been replaced by new and starting from this moment, to start the Power on, it is necessary to act on the commands and keys so as to prepare the system for it to work right away in training sessions.

Again, I am very sorry, but I cannot relate what you say with anything I know.

The problem is that when you activate the A / P, and act manually on the trim wheel so that it is recognized, it begins to move in and only to its backstop. It does not assume the position given by MSFS or Project Magenta (do I not know who determines this situation).

This certainly sounds like a fault in the controller board or its firmware.

Mr. Dowson, please, which the suggested settings for the "PFC.dll" and "FSUIPC" for use with the "PFC 737 '?

You only need to select the 737NG settings. Everything else is then assumed. I would have hoped that the system and software was supplied to you already configured correctly. Do you not have any PFC support at all? I think that the motor controlled trim was not installed on all of their 737 cockpits.

I can send you a copy of my PFC.INI file for you to test with, but I really don't think that will help -- and it will need some editing to work on a different system in any case. I really think you need PFC support. I would do myself in the same circumstances.

Regards

Pete