The simFlight Network Forums

Setting flaps on an axis (ranges)

Hi everyone!

I have just got a Saitek throttle quadrant, which works great and is picked up by FSUIPC fine.

I thought for the PMDG 737 NGX, i would use a spare axis on this unit to set up a profile specific setting to control the flaps.

There are eight flap settings on the 737 NGX, and i have programmed my axis in increments all the way from flaps up to flaps full. Works fine.

My problem comes when making the increments to bring the flaps back up - i can only have 10 ranges, and i have used 8 already just to get the flaps down all the way.

I was wondering - is there some setting anywhere whereby i can automatically reverse my 'flaps down' increments to save re programming and hitting the limit of 10 ranges? Can the range limit of 10 be increased? Or am i unfortunately out of luck?

I have the latest FSIUPC version (4.921f) as i write this if it helps to know.

Thanks for your help, i appreciate your time.

Adrian

There are eight flap settings on the 737 NGX, and i have programmed my axis in increments all the way from flaps up to flaps full. Works fine.

My problem comes when making the increments to bring the flaps back up - i can only have 10 ranges, and i have used 8 already just to get the flaps down all the way.

Sorry, I don't understand. Why do you need different settings for selecting flaps going up to those going down? You only need 8 areas whichever direction you are going in. How do you work out you need 10 or more now? That makes no sense at all!

Also it sounds like you are using the right-hand side of the Axis Assignments tab. Why not simply assign to Flaps and calibrate the positions in the calibration tab -- there's already a ready-made system for calibrating flap detentes.

I was wondering - is there some setting anywhere whereby i can automatically reverse my 'flaps down' increments to save re programming and hitting the limit of 10 ranges? Can the range limit of 10 be increased? Or am i unfortunately out of luck?

Why do you need different positions going one way from those going the other? Even if you persist in using the axis ranges, why not use the same ones for both up and down? Why do you think you need different positions entirely? It makes no sense.

Regards

Pete

"Why do you need different settings for selecting flaps going up to those going down?"

I was trying to set ranges, for example flap 1 = range 0 - 100, flap 2 100-200, flap 3 200-300, etc. up to full flaps, taking 8 ranges detents. Then the same, but with the 'up' checkbox ticked, totalling 16 detents.

I just saw the range option on the axis; didnt know about the flaps assignment. I have just got new hardware, so I have never done it before, and went about it the wrong way that all.

Used the flaps assignment as you suggested - works a treat!

Thanks for helping me out, Pete! :)

-A

"Why do you need different settings for selecting flaps going up to those going down?"

I was trying to set ranges, for example flap 1 = range 0 - 100, flap 2 100-200, flap 3 200-300, etc. up to full flaps, taking 8 ranges detents. Then the same, but with the 'up' checkbox ticked, totalling 16 detents.

You don't need separate up and down settings in any case, just check both up and down so they are bi-directional!

Used the flaps assignment as you suggested - works a treat!

Good. That is the better way.

Regards

Pete