The simFlight Network Forums

Ailerons not being picked up

Hi there Pete and gentlemen.

Been a register FSUIPC user for years and this is the first support query (says a lot about how good the product is).

My issue is that suddenly without changing a setting, the ailerons are not being picked up in the simulator. 

In Axis assignment the X axis is still being picked up and assigned ot alerions, but that is just not materialising in the sim.

Looking forward for your response,

Alex

My issue is that suddenly without changing a setting, the ailerons are not being picked up in the simulator. 

In Axis assignment the X axis is still being picked up and assigned ot alerions, but that is just not materialising in the sim.

More information needed I'm afraid. How is it assigned -- i.e. which mode of assignment and which control? Is it calibrated in FSUIPC or not? Is this with FS9 or some older version, or FSX or P3D? What actual version of FSUIPC?

If you don't know any of these things, maybe you can paste in your FSUIPC INI file from the FS Modules folder? That would fill in many of the answers.

Additional, however, is whether it is the same with default aircraft as well as whatever add-ons you are using.

Finally, you could, for yourself, try some of the logging facilities to see what is going on -- axis logging, for example. See the Logging tab in FSUIPC's options menu.

Regards

Pete

More information needed I'm afraid. How is it assigned -- i.e. which mode of assignment and which control? Is it calibrated in FSUIPC or not? Is this with FS9 or some older version, or FSX or P3D? What actual version of FSUIPC?

If you don't know any of these things, maybe you can paste in your FSUIPC INI file from the FS Modules folder? That would fill in many of the answers.

Additional, however, is whether it is the same with default aircraft as well as whatever add-ons you are using.

Finally, you could, for yourself, try some of the logging facilities to see what is going on -- axis logging, for example. See the Logging tab in FSUIPC's options menu.

Regards

Pete

Apologies for the lack of information.

It is assigned through the FSUIPC Axis assignment and exported through fsuipc settings (giving more limited options for alerions elevators etc. rather than the full list).

It is calibrated through FSUIPC.

FSX

Here is the log..

P.s Elevators, rudders and buttons working fine.

[General]
UpdatedByVersion=4920
History=3EVK1ANA9V4G8VZUK60L7
InitDelayDevicesToo=No
UseSystemTime=No
UseMidMouseBtn=Yes
MouseWheelMove=No
MouseWheelTrim=No
MouseWheelTrimSpeed=1
JoystickTimeout=20
PollGFTQ6=Yes
BlankDisplays=No
FixControlAccel=No
FixMachSpeedBug=No
DeleteVehiclesForAES=Yes
AutoScanDevices=Yes
VisibilityOptions=No
OneCloudLayer=No
CloudTurbulence=No
CloudIcing=No
GenerateCirrus=No
SuppressCloudTurbulence=No
MaxIce=-4
MinIce=-4
UpperWindGusts=No
SuppressWindTurbulence=No
SuppressWindVariance=No
WindTurbulence=No
TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0
TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40
SuppressAllGusts=No
MaxSurfaceWind=0
WindLimitLevel=200
WindDiscardLevel=400
WindAjustAltitude=No
WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000
SmoothBySimTime=No
WindSmoothing=No
WindSmoothness=2
WindSmoothAirborneOnly=Yes
PressureSmoothness=0
TemperatureSmoothness=0
DisconnTrimForAP=No
ZeroElevForAPAlt=No
ThrottleSyncAll=No
WhiteMessages=No
ShowPMcontrols=No
SpoilerIncrement=512
MagicBattery=No
RudderSpikeRemoval=No
ElevatorSpikeRemoval=No
AileronSpikeRemoval=No
ReversedElevatorTrim=No
ClockSync=No
ClockSyncMins=2
ClearWeatherDynamics=No
OwnWeatherChanges=No
TimeForSelect=4
LoadFlightMenu=No
LoadPlanMenu=No
PauseAfterCrash=No
BrakeReleaseThreshold=75
SaveDataWithFlights=No
ZapSound=firework
ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring
UseProfiles=Yes
EnableMouseLook=No
AxesWrongRange=No
TCASid=Flight
TCASrange=40
AxisCalibration=No
DirectAxesToCalibs=No
ShowMultilineWindow=Yes
SuppressSingleline=No
SuppressMultilineFS=No
AxisIntercepts=No
DontResetAxes=No
InitDelay=0
GetNearestAirports=Yes
OOMcheck=Yes
WeatherReadFactor=2
WeatherRewriteSeconds=1
CustomWeatherModify=No
SimConnectStallTime=1
LuaRerunDelay=66
Console=No
FSVersionUsed="Microsoft Flight Simulator X",10.0.61637.0
SimConnectUsed=10.0.61259.0

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
1=Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System
1.GUID={97D76E00-1A0A-11E3-8007-444553540000}

[buttons]
ButtonRepeat=20,10
1=P0,1,K77,11
2=P1,1,K77,11
3=R1,21,C65615,0
4=R1,19,C65607,0
5=P1,2,C65758,0
6=P1,3,C65759,0
7=R1,0,C65588,0
8=P1,5,C65853,0
9=P1,7,C65570,0
10=R1,26,C65602,0
11=P1,24,K82,9
12=P1,6,K71,11

[AutoSave]
Next=1
Interval=60
Files=10
SaveOnGround=No
AutoSaveEnabled=No

[GPSout]
GPSoutEnabled=No

[GPSout2]
GPSoutEnabled=No

[WideServer]
WideFSenabled=Yes

[sounds]
Path=D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound\
Device1=Primary Sound Driver
Device2=Speakers (ASUS Xonar Xense Audio Device)
Device3=Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
Device4=S/PDIF Pass-through Device (ASUS Xonar Xense Audio Device)
Device5=Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)

[JoystickCalibration]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
Elevator=-16380,-512,512,16380
Rudder=-16380,-512,512,16380
Throttle=-16380,16380
Aileron=-16380,-512,512,16380

[Axes]
0=1Z,256,D,4,0,0,0
1=1V,256,D,22,0,0,0
2=1S,256,D,25,0,0,0

[Keys]
2=32,8,1127,0,1128,0

It is assigned through the FSUIPC Axis assignment and exported through fsuipc settings (giving more limited options for alerions elevators etc. rather than the full list).

It is calibrated through FSUIPC.

Yes, I assumed you were using FSUIPC's axis assignment from your original message, but there are several ways of assigning everything there and different controls you can use.  Hence my question.

Here is the log..

That's the INI file, with your settings. did you try logging, as I suggested?

First off, your FSUIPC is out of date. Version 4.920 is no longer supported.. You need to update.

Second, you have very little actually assigned in FSUIPC: the only axes you have assigned are listed in your INI file:

[Axes]

0=1Z,256,D,4,0,0,0
1=1V,256,D,22,0,0,0
2=1S,256,D,25,0,0,0

These are, respectively, Throttle, Spoilers and all-engine Reverser. All are assigned "Direct to FSUIPC calibration", but these are your calibrations:

Throttle=-16380,16380

which include only "Throttle", making the other two assignments pretty useless. Furthermore, these calibration values are the default values set by FSUIPC ready for you to adjust to suit your particular controls. It seems you've not yet actually processed througfh the necessary and documented steps to proper calibration.

If, as you say, your elevators and rudders are working then you evidently must have these assigned in FSX, not in FSUIPC. The default FSUIPC calibration values will still apply, of course, but not being true calibrations they may not be having the best results. Really you are in danger of having conflciting assignments because assignments in FSX will conflict with any similar ones in FSUIPC. You should choose one or the other. You can still calibrate in FSUIPC either way, but there is little point if you simply leave the calibration values to default.

Maybe you deleted some earlier INI file and are left with some later changes, forgetting you'd deleted everything beforehand? Otherwise i cannot imagine how you've had successful use of these facilities in FSUIPC before now.

Regards
Pete

Yes, I assumed you were using FSUIPC's axis assignment from your original message, but there are several ways of assigning everything there and different controls you can use.  Hence my question.

That's the INI file, with your settings. did you try logging, as I suggested?

First off, your FSUIPC is out of date. Version 4.920 is no longer supported.. You need to update.

Second, you have very little actually assigned in FSUIPC: the only axes you have assigned are listed in your INI file:

[Axes]

0=1Z,256,D,4,0,0,0
1=1V,256,D,22,0,0,0
2=1S,256,D,25,0,0,0

These are, respectively, Throttle, Spoilers and all-engine Reverser. All are assigned "Direct to FSUIPC calibration", but these are your calibrations:

Throttle=-16380,16380

which include only "Throttle", making the other two assignments pretty useless. Furthermore, these calibration values are the default values set by FSUIPC ready for you to adjust to suit your particular controls. It seems you've not yet actually processed througfh the necessary and documented steps to proper calibration.

If, as you say, your elevators and rudders are working then you evidently must have these assigned in FSX, not in FSUIPC. The default FSUIPC calibration values will still apply, of course, but not being true calibrations they may not be having the best results. Really you are in danger of having conflciting assignments because assignments in FSX will conflict with any similar ones in FSUIPC. You should choose one or the other. You can still calibrate in FSUIPC either way, but there is little point if you simply leave the calibration values to default.

Maybe you deleted some earlier INI file and are left with some later changes, forgetting you'd deleted everything beforehand? Otherwise i cannot imagine how you've had successful use of these facilities in FSUIPC before now.

Regards
Pete

Hi Pete,

What I will do, is install the latest once again, and consult the manual to properly set up the axis.

I have all the buttons assigned through FSUIPC (gear flaps etc etc), If I just install the new version will these controls still stand?

Alex

edit:

p.s,

Pete, I just realised that I disabled the axis in fsuipc and enabled the default assignments through fsx, just so I could continue my flight, hense why they are not showing in there.

My usual calibration is 

> Axis Assignment > Move joystick to positive elevator >>  Send Direct to FSUIPC Calibration >> Elevator 

Alex

Updated settings 

(Working now with reinstall of latest version)

[JoystickCalibration]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
Throttle=-16380,16380
SlopeAileron=3
SlopeElevator=3

[Axes]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=1X,256,D,1,0,0,0
1=1Y,256,D,2,0,0,0
2=1Z,256,D,4,0,0,0
3=1R,256,D,3,0,0,0
4=1V,256,D,22,0,0,0
5=1S,256,D,25,0,0,0

Updated settings 

(Working now with reinstall of latest version)

[Axes]

RangeRepeatRate=10
0=1X,256,D,1,0,0,0
1=1Y,256,D,2,0,0,0
2=1Z,256,D,4,0,0,0
3=1R,256,D,3,0,0,0
4=1V,256,D,22,0,0,0
5=1S,256,D,25,0,0,0

Okay. that was quick! However, I notice you are still only using default calibrations:

Throttle=-16380,16380

Have you not tried doing proper calibration, following the steps in the user guide?

Also you still have the spoilers and a reverser assigned "direct to calibration", but with no actual calibration set.

Pete

Spoilers are set to an axis on my throttle ont he x52. I will do a proper calibration but to be honest, they are not too far off the default.

Reverser I tried setting it to an axis on the throttle, now it's just a button with repeat if hold.

I'll get back to you on that,

p.s the default FSX controls allowed one to pan in spot view by holding the space bar and then moving the mouse. Is it this possible to set up through FSUIPC?

Alex

Spoilers are set to an axis on my throttle ont he x52. I will do a proper calibration but to be honest, they are not too far off the default.

I'll get back to you on that,

p.s the default FSX controls allowed one to pan in spot view by holding the space bar and then moving the mouse. Is it this possible to set up through FSUIPC?

Alex

Well, it's lucky that through an oversight some of the axes assigned "direct to calibration" are let through even if calibration has not been set. That doesn't happen on all axes, and didn't used to happen on FS9. I haven't fixed it for fear of messing installations up like yours where althoguh you assigned "to calibration" you never actually went to the calibration page and enabled it.

Reverser I tried setting it to an axis on the throttle, now it's just a button with repeat if hold.

Best to delete the [Axes] line for that if you are not using it, or it could interfere. It's the one to D,25.

Yes, of course. You've not read much of the supplied documentation, then? Miscellaneous page: there are mouse move, mouse look and mouse trim options. Yours is mouse look, and you can do it with the middle mouse button held down, much better than the space bar. It applies to all views as far as I know, at least in virtual cockpit mode.

Regards

Pete

Well, it's lucky that through an oversight some of the axes assigned "direct to calibration" are let through even if calibration has not been set. That doesn't happen on all axes, and didn't used to happen on FS9. I haven't fixed it for fear of messing installations up like yours where althoguh you assigned "to calibration" you never actually went to the calibration page and enabled it.

Best to delete the [Axes] line for that if you are not using it, or it could interfere. It's the one to D,25.

Yes, of course. You've not read much of the supplied documentation, then? Miscellaneous page: there are mouse move, mouse look and mouse trim options. Yours is mouse look, and you can do it with the middle mouse button held down, much better than the space bar. It applies to all views as far as I know, at least in virtual cockpit mode.

Regards

Pete

I also use EZDOK which goes on the basis of a middle mouse button. I assume it will be ok for space bar too? Is it called 'Mouse Move'?

Thanks again Pete, you're a superstar of the fs world! 

Cheers once again

I also use EZDOK which goes on the basis of a middle mouse button. I assume it will be ok for space bar too? Is it called 'Mouse Move'?

It is "mouse look". For space bar use you should assign it in the Key press assignments. Assign key press to mouse move on and release to mouse move off. you can assign to any key or button. The mousewheel operates the zoom too.

Mouse move moves the eyepoint in the cockpit, left right, forward, backward.

BTW if you use EZDOK, why bother with these other facilities anyway? It does what you want too, surely?

Pete