The simFlight Network Forums

Issue with P3D2 and keypress sent from FSUIPC

Hey Pete -

Trying to track this down - Had my CH Throttle Quadrant set up in FSUIPC running under FSX, P3D 1.4. with no problems. Deleted FSX & 1.4 and installed P3D2 and your latest for it, copied the fsuipc.ini file settings, etc. All the Axis work just fine on the aircraft but I've run into a problem. I have a button on the TQ mapped to send a CTRL L to toggle landing lights. Loaded the Mooney Acclaim and also one of the P-38's that are default in P3D. Pressing the switch caused a brief busy icon from the mouse but did not toggle the lights. Also tried setting it up as a FSX command - Toggle Landing Lights - still didn't work. interesting in that if I look in the VC and press CTRL L on the keyboard, the visible switch moves and the lights toggle. Set up FSUIPC to send CTRL L - nothing moves.

As I said - this happens on the two a/c I tested. I will check others if you wish.

The ini file and log is attached.

Thanx,

Vic

uploads.zip

I have a button on the TQ mapped to send a CTRL L to toggle landing lights.

Interesting. Why not use the actual control instead of a keypress which FS then maps to the control -- "Landing lights toggle".

Loaded the Mooney Acclaim and also one of the P-38's that are default in P3D. Pressing the switch caused a brief busy icon from the mouse but did not toggle the lights. Also tried setting it up as a FSX command - Toggle Landing Lights - still didn't work. interesting in that if I look in the VC and press CTRL L on the keyboard, the visible switch moves and the lights toggle. Set up FSUIPC to send CTRL L - nothing moves.

Really, problems like this will need reporting to Lockheed-Martin on their Forum. All I will be doing is double-checking and relaying the report, because there's no difference in anything in FSUIPC between FSX, ESP, P3Dv1 and P3Dv2 in any of these areas. The differences are only in areas which need hacking into FS code, not in straight-forward control assignments.

Anyway, in checking your report I cannot find an aircraft where both Ctrl+L assignment and the control LANDING LIGHTS TOGGLE don't work to operate the switch correctly, though I can't tell in the P38 because I can't really see much to work it out.

Key press assignment in FSUIPC does send the key (as you would have determined had you enabled logging), and does result in the correct FS control (also seen in the Log), the same as Ctrl+L directly on the keyboard does.

The ini file and log is attached.

The Log tells nothing because you did not enable any logging options -- try it yourself with Key/button and Event logging enabled.  You can even run in Windowed mode and enable console logging so you can see what is happening in real time.

The INI file is not a lot of help without analysing every assignment line because you don't mention which button you assigned. However, whilst you have one specific Acclaim assigned to a Profile, you don't have any P38 assigned anywhere, and the default [buttons] section has no assignment to Ctrl+L. So your test on the P38 at least was void. I don't know why you don't see correct results on the Acclaim unless you were using one not assigned to the profile..

Incidentally, for Profiles you'd be better off changing "ShortAircraftNameOk=No" to ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring and using abbreviations for the aircraft names so all paint jobs etc are included.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete -

Thanx for the quick response. As is quite often the case, the problem was hardware - the nut behind the keyboard. AS I slept on it, I realized that I had NOT double checked the key assignments within P3D. Yup! I had missed deleting the landing lights toggle. Corrected that and all is well. Sorry to take up your time. Should have done that first.

Interesting. Why not use the actual control instead of a keypress which FS then maps to the control -- "Landing lights toggle".

I think at the time I was setting it all up, it was easier to enter the keypress than scroll down the list to find landing lights.  :)

Incidentally, for Profiles you'd be better off changing "ShortAircraftNameOk=No" to ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring and using abbreviations for the aircraft names so all paint jobs etc are included.

Regards
Pete

I guess I'll have to dig in the docs again - don't follow you on that feature.

edit -

Read the docs and the extra supplied re the Beaver - understand the concept but still a tad confused.

In my setup I have,

[Profile.Twin_Piston]
1=Beech Baron 58 Paint1
2=Cessna 310 BB 3DAnalog
3=Cessna 310 N5225J
4=Cessna 310 N5077J
5=Douglas DC-3 Paint2
6=Cessna 310 Song3 freeradio
7=Cessna 310 SB freeradio

following that are the

buttons.twin piston, axes.twin piston, etc

If I understand correctly then, instead of lumping those a/c under twin piston, I should create a separate profile for each a/c which would then include all the paints.

Vic

Read the docs and the extra supplied re the Beaver - understand the concept but still a tad confused.

In my setup I have,

[Profile.Twin_Piston]
1=Beech Baron 58 Paint1
2=Cessna 310 BB 3DAnalog
3=Cessna 310 N5225J
4=Cessna 310 N5077J
5=Douglas DC-3 Paint2

following that are the

buttons.twin piston, axes.twin piston, etc

If I understand correctly then, instead of lumping those a/c under twin piston, I should create a separate profile for each a/c which would then include all the paints.

Vic

No, no, that's all the wrong way. :sad:  All the "ShortAircraftNameOk=substring" setting allows you to do is shorten the name of the aircraft so it matches a part of the full name of all the aircraft you want to be covered by this Profile. So, in your example:

[Profile.Twin_Piston]
1=Beech Baron 58 Paint1
2=Cessna 310 BB 3DAnalog
3=Cessna 310 N5225J
4=Cessna 310 N5077J
5=Douglas DC-3 Paint2

you could have:just this:

[Profile.Twin_Piston]

1=Beech Baron

2=Cessna 310

3=Douglas DC-3

or even just:

[Profile.Twin_Piston]

1=Baron

2=310

3=DC-3

provided these shortened versions would not include anything you don't want included. "310" is probably a bit dangerous in this regard, but the others might be ok -- unless of course you have a "Red Baron Fokker". ;-)

This merely ensures all variations of those aircraft would be automatically handled in this, the "Twin_Piston" profile.

So, I think you are making out it is very complicated, whereas it is just as simple as that, an abbreviation for the aircraft so the little variations don't all have to be set individually! I'm not sure where it goes wrong in the documentation to result in such a severe misinterpretation. :sad:

Regards

Pete