The simFlight Network Forums

USB as COM

Hi all,

I'm going through a re-install of FSX and its associated bits.  Part of this involves some upgraded PFC hardware.  I formerly had a throttle quadrant that was serial connected and seemed to be causing all sorts of conflict issues with a separate install of FlightLink helo hardware that are USB.  I've now changed out the PFC serial quadrant to a USB unit.  Also upgraded to PFC USB pedals.

In the former PFC setup, the pedals were ported through the throttle quadrant box that was connected to a serial (COM) port on the PC.  Now, each device connects directly to USB...BUT..while the PC (and FSX) sees each device for what it is, FSUIPC (Ver. 4.923) does NOT see any of the devices..as such.  There is a notice on the FSUIPC screen that clearly states that USB devices require the USB port to act as a COM port via software.  I was under the impression that PFCFSX (4.410 in this case) is the required software.  But even with that installed, FSUIPC still does not see those devices on the initial startup.  Windows sees them, FSX sees them, just not FSUIPC.  As well, I have PFCHID ver.1.36 installed, though I'm not sure what that does.  Also, I'm getting really wonky feedback from the throttle and pedals.  In the Windows calibration routine, all axes and rotations, buttons and switches, are functioning.  But in FSX, a rudder input will turn the yoke on the virtual cockpit (acting as an aileron control, not rudder), the throttle on a single engine a/c is reversed (full throttle is back, not forward), and various other strangeness.  Suffice to say that nothing is working correctly.

So, for starters on this issue, could someone kindly set me straight on which software is required to get a USB port to emulate a COM?  Also, I've got all the devices running through a hub into one USB port.  Is this OK?  Or should each device run through its own dedicated USB port?  And if that's the case, how do I get them to play "nicely" with each other?

Thanks,

Alan Aronoff (CYUL)

I'm going through a re-install of FSX and its associated bits.  Part of this involves some upgraded PFC hardware.  I formerly had a throttle quadrant that was serial connected and seemed to be causing all sorts of conflict issues with a separate install of FlightLink helo hardware that are USB.  I've now changed out the PFC serial quadrant to a USB unit.  Also upgraded to PFC USB pedals.

Okay. So now they are standard joystick type devices, not PFC serial protocol devices?

In the former PFC setup, the pedals were ported through the throttle quadrant box that was connected to a serial (COM) port on the PC.  Now, each device connects directly to USB...BUT..while the PC (and FSX) sees each device for what it is, FSUIPC (Ver. 4.923) does NOT see any of the devices..as such.  There is a notice on the FSUIPC screen that clearly states that USB devices require the USB port to act as a COM port via software.

No. Where do you see any such notice in the FSUIPC screen? FSUIPC has no serial port handling software in it whatseover other than the GPSout output and the Lua COM library for plug-ins.

I was under the impression that PFCFSX (4.410 in this case) is the required software.

No, PFC.DLL and PFCFSX.DLL are drivers for the older, original PFC serial port protocol devices, not the more recent USB ones.

But even with that installed, FSUIPC still does not see those devices on the initial startup.  Windows sees them, FSX sees them, just not FSUIPC.

If they are standard joystick devices seen by Windows and FSX then FSUIPC4 sees them too. It uses the exact same DirectInput routines in Windows for such devices. Where are you looking?

As well, I have PFCHID ver.1.36 installed, though I'm not sure what that does.

Why install it if you don't know what it does? It is the driver for the PFC USB-driven HID devices like the new consoles.

Also, I'm getting really wonky feedback from the throttle and pedals.  In the Windows calibration routine, all axes and rotations, buttons and switches, are functioning.  But in FSX, a rudder input will turn the yoke on the virtual cockpit (acting as an aileron control, not rudder), the throttle on a single engine a/c is reversed (full throttle is back, not forward), and various other strangeness.  Suffice to say that nothing is working correctly.

Sounds like you badly need PFC support. I'm afraid I am not the support for PFC devices.

So, for starters on this issue, could someone kindly set me straight on which software is required to get a USB port to emulate a COM?

I have no idea why you want this to happen. It is almost always the other way about, that folks need a COM port adapter to plug into a USB socket because modern PCs do not come with COM sockets -- that was needed for the older PFC serial devices which you say you've now dispensed with!

Pete