The simFlight Network Forums

My flight controls are way too sensitive!!!!

hi all,

i find my flight controls, ie., roll, pitch and rudder, just to sensitive, even after either adjusting in the sensitivity area of FS2004, or even going into cfg9 and changing the scale and nulls to 64 and 0, like pete's docs say. i also, try to deaden the centering of these controls thru pete's joystick area. i follow just what pete's docs say on how to "set" a dead zone.

is a dead zone whats needed to make them less sensitive? are there any other ways one can really deaden these controls so as they just dont over react with imput.

randy

is a dead zone whats needed to make them less sensitive? are there any other ways one can really deaden these controls so as they just dont over react with imput.

A dead centre zone is only useful to ensure a stable centre, i.e. hands-off, setting. Dead end zones only ensure that you can always reach maximum deflection. The more you widen those dead zones the MORE sensitive you are making the joystick because it has to cover the remaining non-dead values in a shorter space.

So, start off with good calibration in windows, and adjust sensitivity in FS, but do not set any dead zones or calibrate in FSUIPC initially. When you get the sensitivity right you might try to set zones, but be careful not to make them too big, only big enough to give you stability and full range.

Regards,

Pete

i would assume then from what you say, that i was making them more sensitive myself.

Well, if you were making the dead zones rather big, yes, that would have that effect.

Another thing which may be worth a try is to add this line in the [CONTROLS] section of the FS9.CFG file:

stick_sensitivity_mode=0

I don't know if this works in FS2004, but it did work in FS2002 and FS2000 -- it makes FS read and scale the joystick inputs like it used to in FS98, a normal linear reaction. I think by default it does something quite weird which I can't explain.

Regards,

Pete