The simFlight Network Forums

Restoring settings

Pete,

I am unfortunately getting ready to have to re-install my OS and FSX.  I have about 30 add on payware a/c, and they are all set up in paid FSUPIC as custom aircraft.  Is there a way that I can I back up or copy a file so I don't have to set them all up again after I re-install?

Thanks

I am unfortunately getting ready to have to re-install my OS and FSX.  I have about 30 add on payware a/c, and they are all set up in paid FSUPIC as custom aircraft.  Is there a way that I can I back up or copy a file so I don't have to set them all up again after I re-install?

Easiest thing to do is make a backup copy of your FSX Modules folder. All of FSUIPC's settings are in its FSUIPC4.INI file, but you may also have macro files and Lua plug-ins to consider.

If you have multiple controllers (joysticks etc) it would be a good idea first to set FSUIPC up to use joystick lettering instead of numbering, assuming you've not already done that. It's just a matter of changing one line in the FSUIPC4.INI file and running FSX again to get it changed. There's a chapter in the User Guide which explains it -- see the contents list. If you aren't using letters instead of numbers there's a good chance that all your assignments will get mixed up when Windows reassigns joystick numbers.

Pete

So when I reinstall an aircraft into FSX FSUPIC will auto detect it, or will I have to match it up with its own settings?

I assume you are using Profiles. The profile-specific settings are all stored in that INI file and so are the names of each aircraft associated with each profile. The aircraft names are kept in its own Aircraft.CFG file which is part of the aircraft file system, so things will simply tie together by name. There's nothing for you to do except make sure you keep a copy of the files concerned.

Pete