The simFlight Network Forums

Ver 4292 Won't Install in Prepar3D v2.1

Initial install says can't find FSX or Prepar3D.  FSX is not installed, but Prepar3D is installed on C: drive, Program Files (x86).  I manually route the FSUIPC installion to  prepared .exe file and just keeps kicking me back to the "Can't find FSX or Prepar3d error.

I've reinstalled Prepar3d two times with same error.

Thanks for your help.

Initial install says can't find FSX or Prepar3D.  FSX is not installed, but Prepar3D is installed on C: drive, Program Files (x86).  I manually route the FSUIPC installion to  prepared .exe file and just keeps kicking me back to the "Can't find FSX or Prepar3d error.

Are you running the Installer by right-clicking it and selecting "run as administrator"? Because having installed P3D in the protected Program Files folder you must do. Obviously it doesn't need to find FSX.

If you still have a problem I need to see the Install log to see why. It sounds like either your Registry entries are incorrect or you've renamed Prepar3D.exe as I know some folks do in order to "fool" installers which aren't aware of P3D.

You can paste the log into a message here. If it isn't being saved into a folder (because it cannot create a Modules folder) you can still use the "File -- Save" entry in the menu in the window showing the progress.

Pete

Yes, I install all programs and run them as administrator and I have full administrator privileges.  I also have not renamed Prepar3D.  Originally, i had Prepar3D installed on my E:\ drive root directory, but was having problems with some of the addons, so I removed it and reinstalled it on the C: drive.  Then I had problems with some programs trying to go to the E: drive still, so I went into the registry and removed all Prepar3D reference to the E: drive.  That solved those problems. 

For some reason I can't attach the file, so I copied the text:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.929

Looking in registry for FSX install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX!  <<< ...
Looking in registry for ESP install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
Not there, so looking in:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ESP
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...
Looking in registry for Prepar3D install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"SetupPath"
Not there, so looking in:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Prepar3D
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...
Looking in registry for Prepar3D v2 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND Prepar3D v2!  <<< ...
===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:
SetupPath="E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
Checking version of the FSX EXE:
Couldn't obtain Version Info! Asking user to find FSX.EXE ...
User identified path:
   "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2"
User identified path:
User aborted attempt to find FSX. Installation failed.

INSTALLATION FOR Prepar3D v2:
SetupPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\"
Checking version of the Prepar3D v2 EXE:
... Version 2.1.9936.0  (Need at least 1.0.677.0)
Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:
    Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)
    Found SimConnect build 195 (ESP Orig)
    Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)
    Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)
Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:
       C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL
... No previous valid version found.
Prepar3D v2 Modules folder created okay!
Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"
Looking for the current user's Application Data path:
... found as "C:\Users\BillofFlagstaff\AppData\Roaming"
Now finding \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.CFG for all users, including this one
Looking in "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No Prepar3D.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\AppData\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\BillofFlagstaff\AppData\Roaming"
Found Prepar3D.CFG in "C:\Users\BillofFlagstaff\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
... No previous DLL.XML found, creating new one (for FSUIPC4 only).
Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...
... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.
Looking in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\Default.migrated\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming"
"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder created okay!
Now installing the Prepar3D SimConnect interface for FSUIPC4 into the "Modules" folder:
   Installed "SimConnectP3D2.dll" okay
Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:
   Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay
   Installed "List of FSX and P3D controls.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay
   Installed "LuaFileSystem.pdf" okay
   Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf" okay

All installer tasks completed.

*************** End of Install Log ***************

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I install all programs and run them as administrator and I have full administrator privileges.  I also have not renamed Prepar3D.  Originally, i had Prepar3D installed on my E:\ drive root directory, but was having problems with some of the addons, so I removed it and reinstalled it on the C: drive.  Then I had problems with some programs trying to go to the E: drive still, so I went into the registry and removed all Prepar3D reference to the E: drive.  That solved those problems. 

It sounds like you didn't "uninstall" it but simply deleted it? The uninstaller should remove the Registry references.

For some reason I can't attach the file

That is why I said to paste the log into a message, as I see you have done.

The log actually shows that your Registry still says you have FSX installed:

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

Parameter"SetupPath"

... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX!  <<< ...

It seems that you simply deleted FSX too, without uninstalling it? This is why you get a prompt asking you to point to where FSX is:

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:

SetupPath="E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Then, oddly, you "oblige" by pointing it to P3D!!! Why?

User identified path:

User aborted attempt to find FSX. Installation failed.

Why not just abort the FSX install inn the first place? What are you trying to do here? 

Really you need to edit the Registry again and remove the installation details for FSX. I'm surprised you don't get problems with other installers.

However, the installation for P3Dv2 proceeds successfully. Why do you think it doesn't? See:

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v2 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Parameter"SetupPath"

... >>>  OK! FOUND Prepar3D v2!  <<< ...

INSTALLATION FOR Prepar3D v2:

SetupPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\"

Checking version of the Prepar3D v2 EXE:

... Version 2.1.9936.0  (Need at least 1.0.677.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)

Found SimConnect build 195 (ESP Orig)

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... No previous valid version found.

Prepar3D v2 Modules folder created okay!

Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

Looking for the current user's Application Data path:

... found as "C:\Users\BillofFlagstaff\AppData\Roaming"

Now finding \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.CFG for all users, including this one

Found Prepar3D.CFG in "C:\Users\BillofFlagstaff\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.CFG"

Now checking DLL.XML ...

... No previous DLL.XML found, creating new one (for FSUIPC4 only).

Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...

... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.

"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder created okay!

Now installing the Prepar3D SimConnect interface for FSUIPC4 into the "Modules" folder:

Installed "SimConnectP3D2.dll" okay

Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:

Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FSX and P3D controls.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay

Installed "LuaFileSystem.pdf" okay

Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay

Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf" okay

So, apart from your FSX pointer to nowhere, what is the problem?

Pete

I never simply remove programs.  I always use the application uninstaller or the control panel, then go back and manually remove any residual folders.

OK....so, I uninstalled Prepar3D Again and went into the registry and removed all reference to Prepar3D and FSX, except for files and downloaded zips.  I ran the registry editor several times to make sure I removed all entries.

Then, I reinstalled Prepar3D into my C:\ root directory.  I then ran Prepar3D once to make sure it installed correctly.  Then I attempted installed FSUIPC4 again.  When I got the point that the installer asked me to select the simulator, I selected Prepar3D, NOT FSX.  The following is a list of errors I received:

1.  FSX or Prepar3D not found.  Please locate the .exe file.

2.  Using the browse button, I routed the installer to the correct Prepar3D.exe file.

a.  When I double click on the Prepar3D icon, the screen flashes and takes me back to the page that says FSX or Prepar3D not found.  Then I route to the Prepar3D.exe file 3 additional times with the same result.

3.  After the 4th attempt, I hit the "cancel" key and get the message, "Your FSX installation has not been located, even with your help.  No changes have been made for it by this program"....I click "OK."

4.  Installer appears to continue installing and takes me to the Installer registration screen.

a.  I select "Register both" and get an error: "The registration was canceled or does not check correctly."

5.  The installer does create a "MODULES" folder within Prepar3D, but when I run Prepar3D, while I have FSUIPC in the  "Addons" menu, I don't have the typical Options and Settings.

So, this is my analysis of the situation.

The error messages are related to FSX and not Prepar3D.  For some reason, the installer still thinks I have FSX installed, even though I've removed every reference to FSX from the registry.

However, as you said, it does install into Prepar3D correctly.  It wasn't giving me the Options and Settings because the automatic registry didn't locate my key, probably because I inadvertantly removed it during the "cleansing " process.

I went back to the installer and manually installed the key and FSUIPC is working correctly now.  The only remaining issue is the FSX installation.  I even tried to use a registry cleaner and still can't seem to get rid of the registry entry that says the program is installed.

Thanks,

Bill

I never simply remove programs.  I always use the application uninstaller or the control panel, then go back and manually remove any residual folders.

Nevertheless, the registry entry still exists for FSX. Nothing is going to "invent" that for you, it is there, present in the Registry as I showed.

OK....so, I uninstalled Prepar3D Again 

Then, I reinstalled Prepar3D into my C:\ root directory.  I then ran Prepar3D once to make sure it installed correctly.

And why did you do all that? There is absolutely nothing in the log to indicate anything wrong at all with your P3D installation nor FSUIPC4 being installed into it, as I said

Then I attempted installed FSUIPC4 again.  When I got the point that the installer asked me to select the simulator, I selected Prepar3D, NOT FSX.

Yes, but you selected P3D when asked for the location of FSX, that is all. Sice you don't have FSX you shouldn't have selected anything, just aborted that part. However, it doesn't matter at all. FSX.EXE is not going to be found because it isn't there. As I said, the cleanest thing to do to fix your system is to remove the redundant entries in the Registry pointing to a no longer existing FSX!

1.  FSX or Prepar3D not found.  Please locate the .exe file.2.  Using the browse button, I routed the installer to the correct Prepar3D.exe file.

The prompt would have asked you to find FSX.EXE. You don't appear to have read much of my last reply and log anyalysis at all. :sad:

4.  Installer appears to continue installing and takes me to the Installer registration screen.

Yes, it has correctly installed FSUIPC4 into P3D, as it had done the previous time and as shown in the Log.

I select "Register both" and get an error: "The registration was canceled or does not check correctly."

The installer would not say anything until and unless you press a button on that screen. It cannot edxit at all just when checking an option.

The error messages are related to FSX and not Prepar3D.

Of course they are, and it is only one error. You appear not to even bother to read things. It asks you to locate FSX.EXE, not Prepar3D.exe. Why don't you read what it says?

For some reason, the installer still thinks I have FSX installed, even though I've removed every reference to FSX from the registry.

You most certainly have NOT removed the Registry entry which says you have FSX installed ... please go and re-read what I told you last time! You seem to have ignored most of it! What is the point of my giving you a blow-by-blow analysis if you ignore it?

The only remaining issue is the FSX installation.  I even tried to use a registry cleaner and still can't seem to get rid of the registry entry that says the program is installed.

In my opinion, so-called registry cleaners do more harm than good. The entry you should some time remove is found in one of these places:

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

You have a parameter in the former, I think, called Setuppath or maybe, less likely, Apppath -- or even both. It is pointing to:

"E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

It isn't doing any real harm except for confusing the hell out of you, it seems.

Regards

Pete