The simFlight Network Forums

Question re mouse look

I recently bought a mouse with left/right tilt, in order to use the fsuipc function to use the mouse to move left and right.

I used to press the middle mouse button to pan left and right and up and down, and on release was able to use the forward/back motion on the mouse wheel to operate panel buttons to adjust various values (radio, nav, altitude etc.).

Now, it seems, having made some settings in fsuipc.ini, I can still use the pan left/fight function as before by pressing the mouse wheel as well as forward/back using the wheel while pressed, as well as up / down moving the mouse itself forward or back (while pressed), plus left/right movement by using the mouse tilt (wheel not pressed). However, I can no longer use the mouse wheel forward/back motion on its own (not pressed) to change panel values.

If possible what settings do I need to make in the fsuipc.ini in order to perform the following:

1. Tilt mouse wheel left/right to move left/right, plus

2. Press mouse wheel to enable left/right panning, up/down panning and forward/backward movement while wheel is pressed...plus

3. Still use mouse wheel forward/back movement (while not pressed) to change panel values.

Is it possible to set fsuipc.ini settings to enable all 3 above, or does one have to compromise?

Appreciate advice,

Thank you,

Stuart

I recently bought a mouse with left/right tilt, in order to use the fsuipc function to use the mouse to move left and right.

I used to press the middle mouse button to pan left and right and up and down, and on release was able to use the forward/back motion on the mouse wheel to operate panel buttons to adjust various values (radio, nav, altitude etc.).

Now, it seems, having made some settings in fsuipc.ini, I can still use the pan left/fight function as before by pressing the mouse wheel as well as forward/back using the wheel while pressed, as well as up / down moving the mouse itself forward or back (while pressed), plus left/right movement by using the mouse tilt (wheel not pressed). However, I can no longer use the mouse wheel forward/back motion on its own (not pressed) to change panel values.

Nothing in FSUIPC has changed in regard to these facilities, except for the recent addition of assignable controls to toggle them on and off (see FSUIPC4 History document, item 9 in the 'New Facilities' for version 4.93).  Unless disabled by an INI file option, the centre button has always been used when kept pressed to operate the mouse look option (panning in the virtual cockpit), but the mouse move option, when enabled, has always used the wheel, in both directions, for moving the eyepoint back/forth and left/right, without the need to press the button.

Obviously the wheel cannot simultaneously be used for other things. To use it for other cockpit functions you must disable the 'mouse move' facility, maybe by turning it off by assigning a button or keypress to "Mousemove option toggle".

The mouse move forward back and left / right are part of the same facility. You cannot realistically expect those functions be separated. You just need to toggle the option off when not needed and on again when needed.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I did think that may have been the case.

I haven't looked yet but presume the "mouse move toggle" option can be set in 'button assingments' in the fsuipc tab for such.

I shall need to investigate as I haven't used button assignments before.

Regards,

Stuart

• 9 months later...

Pete, sorry for being a pain, as I obviously had a similar problem in May last year when I raised this post initially, since when I have been using the mouse wheel when pressed for zooming in/out and panning left/right, and when not pressed for operating panel knobs.

However, I must have changed something accidentally and I have got in a muddle again with mouse settings in fsuipc/fsx controls to achieve various options using the mouse, as the above is no longer working.

Could you please advise/confirm which fsuipc.INI settings &/or assignments in fsuipc and/or fsx that I should set to achieve the following:

1: Hold mouse wheel down to zoom forward & back and pan side to side.

2: Use mouse wheel (without pressing down) to change instrument buttons in the panel.

I am not worried about using the sideward motion of the wheel to move left/right, but if there is a way to achieve this by setting 'mouse move toggle' button then I might investigate too, but the two functions above are more critical for me.

Again apologies for asking similar question again

Stuart

Could you please advise/confirm which fsuipc.INI settings &/or assignments in fsuipc and/or fsx that I should set to achieve the following:

1: Hold mouse wheel down to zoom forward & back and pan side to side.

2: Use mouse wheel (without pressing down) to change instrument buttons in the panel.

For #1 you just set the mousewheel move, as documented on page 18/19 of the User Guide. It isn't a "zoom", it's a eyepoint move.

Mouse wheel zooming is part of the Mouse look facility, page 19 in the user guide. 

#2 is not something FSUIPC can do (unless you program it as a Lua plug-in). FSUIPC provides no assignment facilities for the mouse. Use buttons or joystick axes or keypresses.

Pete

I think therefore from the above that I actually want 'mouse look' then for #1 to zoom and pan, rather than 'move' around. Can 'mouse look' be used in conjunction with using the mouse wheel for the panel when not pressed?

BTW Is it possible to reload changes made in the INI file without having to close and restart FSX?

Stuart

I think therefore from the above that I actually want 'mouse look' then for #1 to zoom and pan, rather than 'move' around. Can 'mouse look' be used in conjunction with using the mouse wheel for the panel when not pressed?

Sorry, I don't know anything about using the mouse wheel for panels. Certainly it isn't anything FSUIPC does, as I said.

BTW Is it possible to reload changes made in the INI file without having to close and restart FSX?

Depends which parts, which options. Most generally changeable options in [General] are set in the FSUIPC settings dialogue. Assignments and calibrations can be reloaded with changes using the Reload button on the relevant tab.

Pete

Pete,

Still having problems I'm afraid.

I just have mouse look ticked in the misc tab of fsuipc, but pressing the centre mouse button and moving the wheel or mouse to zoom/pan has no effect.

Also, with mouse look unticked, the mouse does not revert to its FSX movement either.

What are the settings in FSX that effect use of the mouse for fsx zooming/ panning facility?

I'm beginning to wonder if my mouse has become faulty, although with 'mousemove' ticked the wheel does work for changing view point forward/backwards and sideways?

Another question, if I can get mouselook working, where does one assign the centre button as the 'mouselook toggel on/off'?

Cheers

Stuart

I just have mouse look ticked in the misc tab of fsuipc, but pressing the centre mouse button and moving the wheel or mouse to zoom/pan has no effect.

It works fine here. Does it work with the mouse look enabled by assignment to the FSUIPC control to turn it on or off? If so then maybe you have disabled the centre mouse button for this facility? That's an option you would have had to set explicitly by editing the INI file ("UseMidMouseBtn=Yes").

Enable Axis and Event logging in FSUIPC's logging tab, temporarily run FS in Windowed mode and enable FSUIPCs console log. Then you can see the results, in terms of FS controls, of what you do. The Mouse Look facility uses "Pan View" axis controls for the view direction and "Zoom In/Zoom Out" for the zooming.

Also, with mouse look unticked, the mouse does not revert to its FSX movement either.

Without any of the mouse options enabled on the Miscellaneous tab FSUIPC doesn't interfere with the mouse at all. Sounds like your FS is rather screwed up!

What are the settings in FSX that effect use of the mouse for fsx zooming/ panning facility?

Either use FSX or FSUIPC not both. If you disable controllers in FSX, which you MUST if you assign in FSUIPC, then the FSX mouse look facility is also disabled.

Another question, if I can get mouselook working, where does one assign the centre button as the 'mouselook toggel on/off'?

No where. That isn't an option. You simply hold it down for 'on', release it for 'off', or else assign a button or keypress to the mouselook toggle, on or off controls, as you wish. If you need to use the centre mouse button for other things you need to do such assignments and set the UseMidMoseBtn=No pasrameter in the INI file (before loading FS).

Pete

It works fine here. Does it work with the mouse look enabled by assignment to the FSUIPC control to turn it on or off? If so then maybe you have disabled the centre mouse button for this facility? That's an option you would have had to set explicitly by editing the INI file ("UseMidMouseBtn=Yes").

[stuart] I have "UseMidMouseBtn=No"

Enable Axis and Event logging in FSUIPC's logging tab, temporarily run FS in Windowed mode and enable FSUIPCs console log. Then you can see the results, in terms of FS controls, of what you do. The Mouse Look facility uses "Pan View" axis controls for the view direction and "Zoom In/Zoom Out" for the zooming.

[stuart] I'm not able to check out logging now until Friday. FYI I do have my hat switch assigned to "Pan View" for occasional use when both hands needed on the yoke.

Without any of the mouse options enabled on the Miscellaneous tab FSUIPC doesn't interfere with the mouse at all. Sounds like your FS is rather screwed up!

Either use FSX or FSUIPC not both. If you disable controllers in FSX, which you MUST if you assign in FSUIPC, then the FSX mouse look facility is also disabled.

[stuart] I have got the Mouse Look in FSX working having reset defaults, however if I then disable controllers, mouse look in fsuipc doesn't work.

No where. That isn't an option. You simply hold it down for 'on', release it for 'off', or else assign a button or keypress to the mouselook toggle, on or off controls, as you wish. If you need to use the centre mouse button for other things you need to do such assignments and set the UseMidMoseBtn=No parameter in the INI file (before loading FS).

[stuart] I assigned a joystick button to mouselook toggle but when activated it still didn't work. Having then [cleared] it the option no longer exists in the drop down!

Pete

I have managed to assign a joystick button to activate the FSX cross-hair mouse look, so at least now have a workable option,but I would prefer to get to the bottom of the fsuipc mouse look not working as that is my preference.

I have managed to assign a joystick button to activate the FSX cross-hair mouse look, so at least now have a workable option,but I would prefer to get to the bottom of the fsuipc mouse look not working as that is my preference.

Didn't you so as I suggested and test that the FSUIPC mouse look worked using such an assignment to the FSUIPC facility, first, (i.e. rather than the middle button)? That would at least be a clue!

I've not yet met a system whee the FSUIPC mouse look didn't work. It is only issuing standard FS controls, as I said. Didn't you do anything I suggested?

Pete

Pete,

I only saw your post and suggestions after I had closed down my PC (see my embedded comments), and as I said I won't be able to do more testing until Friday as my wife and I will be baby sitting my 18 month granddaughter the next two days!

I did however try assigning the fsuipc mouselook toggle to a joystick button but that didn't work either.

I shall see if I can try another mouse on Friday just in case it is the press and hold centre mouse button that has become faulty.

Thanks again for your tolerance.

Stuart

I only saw your post and suggestions after I had closed down my PC (see my embedded comments), and as I said I won't be able to do more testing until Friday as my wife and I will be baby sitting my 18 month granddaughter the next two days!

From late Thursday I will be off-line until about the 28th.

Pete