The simFlight Network Forums

Hot key for menu options?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

First, thanks Pete. For everything. FSUIPC is one of those rare pieces of software that cements its usefulness immediately, and then becomes ever more important... :lol:

A question. The keyboard mapping and the ability to create hotkeys is an essential function of FSUIPC for me, but is it possible to create hot keys for FS Menu commands as well? I would like to create a hotkey combo to toggle between simple and complex clouds, per FS Weather options submenu. These are mouse-commanded in the sim, but they must have a switching parameter somewhere?

Simon Evans

is it possible to create hot keys for FS Menu commands as well? I would like to create a hotkey combo to toggle between simple and complex clouds, per FS Weather options submenu. These are mouse-commanded in the sim, but they must have a switching parameter somewhere?

Most if not all menu options presumably set something somewhere inside FS which may, if changed directly, have the same effect as using the menu items.

However, I'm afriad I really don't know where they are. I did manage to find the one affecting dynamic weather changes, but I couldn't find any of the others in the ordinary weather menu.

In any case, judging by my findings in FS2004's Weather DLL, it is more likely to be a lot more complicated. In FS2000 and FS2002 I could find where to write something to change stuff like winds, pressure, and so on, just by changing data. In FS2004 there's no way I can see to do that. It's all procedural -- I can change data and it no effect whatsoever. After changing the data several functions have to be called with the right parameters to make it effective. Even just to clear the weather, which used to be one call, is now three calls. Why? I don't know. I only found out how to do the few things I do by tracing through the code, watching what it did, then by trial and error trying to do the same till I hit on the right combination or sequence.

The part you mentioned is actually to do more with graphics settings than weather generation, and I don't know where any of those are at all. I know that Lago's top programmer did master many graphics things in FS2000 (hence "FSAssist"), but I never got very far with any of that stuff. And that was with FS98/2000 when things were a lot simpler. As more and more of FS has been re-coded in C++ with a load of object oriented "black boxes" it's been getting harder and harder.

Regards,

Pete

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I feared as much...

Seems like many of the `remnant` settings that were carried over from FS2000 to FS2002 no longer function the same way, if at all, in FS9. Depending on your point of view, you could call it `streamlining` or `bloatware`..! :lol:

Simon