The simFlight Network Forums

v3.07 tailhook offset problem

Pete,

I'm sorry to report that the 3BA0 tailhook offset does not seem to follow tailhook position.

I read it out as a double (8 byte float) and simply reported the value every second during flight. The value varies from incredibly small absolute values to incredibly large absolute values, but there's only a mild coupling to the state of the tailhook.

What I observed was that when tailhook is in the retracted state, the values are negative and very small (high negative exponents). When I extend, there seems to be a trend toward values closer to zero, but it lags behind the actual FS messages reporting tailhook "up" or "down". If I then retract again there's a trend toward smaller values again, but the values vary widely and the overlap is huge. In short, I saw no way to use the 8-byte float value at offset 3BA0 to determine tailhook position or even boolean state (which is really all I'm concerned with - is it in the extended or retracted state?)

FD3 for FS2004 goes out the door Monday or Tuesday, so that's why I've tested this so soon after release. It would be cool to add that (optional) feature to ArrCab.

thanks,

Rich

http://www.speakeasy.org/~rhogen/arrestorcables.htm

I'm sorry to report that the 3BA0 tailhook offset does not seem to follow tailhook position.

All I did was link the offset 3BA0 to the position of the "double" which

seems to be called "Tailhook position" in the SIM1 data.

Maybe it isn't a double after all? Did you see what it meant as an int

(DWORD)?

Did you try it in FS2004 or FS2002? If one, try the other too.

I've no idea what I'm doing with such values. I don't know how to operate

it, nor to tell if it is working or not. All I can do is follow clues in the

code. And that takes many hours of tracing through disassemblies. It might have helped if I could have seen it changing, but every aircraft I tried only ever had 0.0 in there.

And, sorry, but there's no way I can determine more before Monday. If that isn't the right place it could be a week's solid work trying to retrace

through the code, assuming I could start with something I knew did something to it. :cry:

Regards

Pete