The simFlight Network Forums

Controllers

Greetings

Didn't want to piggyback on my other post.

I have changed a value in FSUIPC. Previously I had AutoAssignLetters=yes. I reverted back to AutoAssignLetters=No.  As noted below, I have 5 controllers. However it seems FSUIPC keeps looking for F,A,E, and B controllers. I have deleted the entries and they keep coming back. Is that a hangover from the configuration where I was using letters? If so, is there a way that I can make them go away? If not, does it matter?

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
0=SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick
0.GUID={9B920280-DEAE-11E3-8001-444553540000}
1=Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals
1.GUID={5B58AEC0-E09E-11E3-8001-444553540000}
2=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
2.GUID={5B58AEC0-E09E-11E3-8002-444553540000}
3=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
3.GUID={5B58AEC0-E09E-11E3-8003-444553540000}
4=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
4.GUID={5B58AEC0-E09E-11E3-8004-444553540000}
5=Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel
5.GUID={B17DD320-E1CF-11E3-8001-444553540000}
F=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >>
A=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >>
E=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >>
B=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >>

Thanks

Graham

I have changed a value in FSUIPC. Previously I had AutoAssignLetters=yes. I reverted back to AutoAssignLetters=No.  As noted below, I have 5 controllers.

The Auto Assign option just does initial assignment for controllers not yet assigned a letter. You can't undo letter assignment without going through editing every line in every section where a button or joystick axis is referenced!

Why on Earth would you want to disuse a facility which is designed solely to safeguard your assignments? You really should always use joystick letters unless you only ever have one joystick, and the same one never changing. Without the lettering any temporary disconnection of the USBs or even some Windows updates or repairs, will reassign all of your buttons and axes. Then you will have a hell of a job sorting the mess out!

However it seems FSUIPC keeps looking for F,A,E, and B controllers. I have deleted the entries and they keep coming back. 

This is because you still have assignments in your Axes or Buttons sections to F, A, E and B. It will always report the problem because it cannot use those assignments when it doesn't know which controller they refer to. They are just wasting time and space.

Pete

OK. I read the AutoAssignLetters section, in the guide, in it's entirety before replying. Had I done so the first time, I wouldn't have had to clog up your forum with another post.

You noted a limitation of this system in the last paragraph of the section. Please don't think I am instructing you. I wouldn't dream of that. Would it be feasible to, if FSUIPC doesn't find a controller, pop up a dialogue asking user if they want the former controllers assignments deleted? Perhaps you discarded the idea given the amount of grief it could cause.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll clean up whatever alpha assignments left over from the first go round and reactivate the option.

Thanks

Graham