The simFlight Network Forums

FSX Airbus Rudder trim offset

Hi,

I'm looking for help to program my rudder trim knob, rudder trim reset button and corresponding digit values (7-segments) for my Airbus.

Hardware is soldered and three 7-segment displays are ready.  I'm using FSX and Airbus.  For rudder trim reset I have a push button.

For rudder trim I have push button to activate trimming left and a button for trimming right. I see continuous pushing makes continuous trimming each direction. 

I'm a bit confused how to set correct offsets for each buttons. I use opencockpits iocard and its old iocard.exe (not sioc).

For displays I should find correct offset (write), I assume?

I'm really happy I someone knows how to proceed.  Thank You so much.

Markus

I'm looking for help to program my rudder trim knob, rudder trim reset button and corresponding digit values (7-segments) for my Airbus.

Hardware is soldered and three 7-segment displays are ready.  I'm using FSX and Airbus.  For rudder trim reset I have a push button.

For rudder trim I have push button to activate trimming left and a button for trimming right. I see continuous pushing makes continuous trimming each direction. 

I'm a bit confused how to set correct offsets for each buttons. I use opencockpits iocard and its old iocard.exe (not sioc).

For displays I should find correct offset (write), I assume?

Is this the default FSX Airbus, or an add-on aircraft like that from Aerosoft?

If it is default aircraft then the rudder trim offsets are 0488, 0498, 0C04 and 2EC0, which I just found by simply searching the offsets list (did you try this?)

However, these are all designed to work as continuous axis controls/readouts, not using  INC/DEC events. You can INC/DEC them, but you'd either need to program this in a Lua plug-in, or use FSUIPC's Offset sword inc and Offset sword dec controls. You can action these controls via offsets -- you write the parameter, a 4-byte value, to 3114 then the control value to 3110. But I doubt whether the software supplied with your control card can do 2 x 4byte writes, or one 8 byte write? Check. If not then you need to see if you can make it trigger a joystick button -- either a real one, seen by Windows, or more likely one of FSUIPC's "virtual buttons", done by toggling a bit in the offset range 3340 ff. You can do the latter with onw 4 byte write to offset 29F0.

Once you have FSUIPC recognising your button presses you can program them to the offset controls in FSUIPC assignments, as suggested above.  There's an exampler of how to do this in the FSUIPC4 user guide, in the box on page 31 or close. That's for elevator trim, but the same applies to all the trims. Just use offset 0C04 instead of 0BC0.

For reading and displaying any of the values you'll need to consult your Opencockpits software, because whilst FSUIPC supplies the values you need something to convert them to displayable form and send them to the hardware.

If you are using an add-on aircraft then I don't know whether this will apply, because many sophisticated add-on aircraft do their own thing.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

I maybe found an easy solution.  I can attach those inputs to opencockpits axes card card. I does see those as joystick buttons. Then I can use fsuipc to assign them or even FSX own controls, right?  

See this:

http://www.opencockpits.com/uploads/manuales/IOCard_USB_Axes_Manual_2012_REV2_English.pdf

I use Project Airbus model with modified panel.cfg  , but I bet it has rudder trim as default FSX A321.

Hi Peter,

I maybe found an easy solution.  I can attach those inputs to opencockpits axes card card. I does see those as joystick buttons. Then I can use fsuipc to assign them or even FSX own controls, right?

Ah, yes, there are FS controls for Rudder trim left and right. I'd forgotten those. As.long as the increment amount is okay for you they are fine. The only advantage of the FSUIPC offset control method is that you can choose the size of the increment.

Pete

Now I have to get the values to the displays. I wonder about the correct offset for this.

You need to refer to the FSUIPC4 offsets status document, included in your FSUIPC Documents folder. It describes each of the offsets I mentioned. Not some are control inputs, others outputs, some both. There's only one which actually gives the angle.)in radians in fact). Which you use depends on what you are trying to display. Also you'd need to consider how to convert the values in the offset (most of which are in 64-bit double floating point format) into whatever your display is supposed to show.

Pete