The simFlight Network Forums

Spike Elimination for Power Quadrant and Toe Brakes?

Peter

I see their is Control spike elimination for Rudder, Elevator & Aileron under the Technical Tab of FSUIPC. Is there any way to apply spike control eliminations to other devices as I have a twin engine power quadrant by Flight Link that has some spikes occuring "would be nice to eliminate". I also have PFC USB rudder pedals with a spike that occurs with one of the toe brakes, once again would be nice to eliminates and make all controls run smoother. I have performed endless calibrations and without FSUIPC I would be hooped. Any input on the mentioned issues would be greatly appreciated.

Grant Beach

Window XP Pro

Intel D850MV Motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 2.00 GHz 1000 Mb RAM

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 Mb

VMAX Flight Systems AFCS III Yoke USB

Cirrus Ruder Pedals USB

FlightLink Twin Engine PQ USB

GoFlight GF-AC Cockpit Control System

1x RP48, 1x GF-P8, 2x GF-T8, 1x GF-45, 3x GF166A, 1x GF-MCP & 1x GF-LGT

MicroSoft FS2002/FS2004 / X-Plane 7.00 / Fly! II

I see their is Control spike elimination for Rudder, Elevator & Aileron under the Technical Tab of FSUIPC. Is there any way to apply spike control eliminations to other devices

Those facilities were added to deal with bugs in certain FS panels which were actually occasionally sending FS controls with full deflections. They so-called "spikes" are not transients in hardware, but single absolute maximum values being set by software. The elimination merely ignores any maximum values, and should ideally be used with calibration in FSUIPC, which sets the maximum to one less than the true possible maximum.

as I have a twin engine power quadrant by Flight Link that has some spikes occuring "would be nice to eliminate". I also have PFC USB rudder pedals with a spike that occurs with one of the toe brakes, once again would be nice to eliminates and make all controls run smoother.

This sort of spiking is very difficult to eliminate by software without destroying responsiveness. I have put some smoothing into the PFC driver, mainly to help a user in Myanmar with dreadful power supplies. But really the answer is to clean the pots or replace them, and to make sure that the power supply is good and that nothing is interfering with the drivers. I am surprised you have any trouble with USB devices which should be relatively immune, but it was always a problem with game ports used on sound cards -- the two functions often didn't live well together.

I really think you should seek the advice of your supplier, who may well suggest replacement pots or some cleaning operation. There's are sprays which may help.

Regards,

Pete