The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with Advdisp 2.122 in FS2k2

Peter, after I installed V2.122 my panels do not keep the settings for Advdisp. Everytime I load FS in the modules advdisp is unchecked so I have to setup the advdisp window everytime.

I checked the panels.cfg and all the info for advdisp is there but I also found a cfg for advdisp in the modules folder and I do not remember ever seeing that in there.

Thanks again,

after I installed V2.122 my panels do not keep the settings for Advdisp. Everytime I load FS in the modules advdisp is unchecked so I have to setup the advdisp window everytime.

You have to lock it or dock it. It will never stay enabled otherwise. what was your previous version of AdvDisplay? There's been no change in that for a long time.

I checked the panels.cfg and all the info for advdisp is there but I also found a cfg for advdisp in the modules folder and I do not remember ever seeing that in there.

There should be an Advdisplay.INI file in the Modules folder. that's been created for many versions, certainly since the position locking was implemented. It's the only way it can remember the locked state and position.

If it isn't docking then it isn't finding a panel part to dock onto. Or maybe you docked onto a panel part you don't normally have showing -- because of the changes I had to make to stop flashing and to give more consistent results.

When you checked the PANEL.CFG you should have seen the name of the panel part it thinks it is docked to -- for example in this entry:

[AdvDisplay]

Window=1619,398,265,97,1,1

Font=Courier New,-13,0,700,0,0,0

HideWindow=No

AutoHide=No

AlsoATIS=Yes

MultiLineOnly=No

Scroll=Normal

PanelPart=Overhead Panel

the window is docked to "Overhead Panel". this means that it only appears on screen when that panel part does. The names of the panel parts are near the top of the PANEL.CFG file, like this:

[Window Titles]

window00=Main Panel

window01=Radio Stack

window02=Throttle Quadrant

Window03=Weather

window04=Overhead Panel

Window05=GPS

window06=Compass

You can change the assignment yourself if it is not correct. AdvDisplay does not choose the panel correctly all the time -- it depends upon the order in which FS draws them. the position of the window itself is now fixed independently of the panel part to which it is "docked". All this stuff is described, perhaps too briefly, in the doc.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks, and as for the last version I had was the on before this one, I think I have had them all :)

OK, I will recheck everything. Now that you mention it I do remember not being able to lock or dock it like I use to in other versions.

In that case it sounds like the one you are using is 2.12 or 2.121, as those problems were certainly present then and in fact were the reason for releasing 2.122. Here's the relevant extract from the notes in the "recent versions" announcement above:

ADVDISPLAY Release 2.122

This fixes serious problems in version 2.12. It was a total blunder on my part, for which many apologies. I should have caught this before it went out -- what I thought was a simple change (avoiding the delay in subclassing the FS window, to try to reduce the probability of black screen problems) turned out to have nasty reprecussions. It actually stopped “Locked” settings from being remembered, and even prevented docking for panels in which it was not already docked!

Do NOT use 2.12 at all! Apologies for this mishap. Earlier the same day I did release a version 2.121 -- this was okay except that it only worked on FS2004.

So, please double-check the version you have -- right click on the DLL and select Properties - Version.

Regards,

Pete

First thing I checked, yep it's ver 2.122.

I have been doing this way to long not the read the notes first.

I can try to reinstall it again but I did do that the other day after I saw your release notes and I checked to make sure it was ver 2.122

Would it help if I delete the cfg in the modules folder and run it again?

I will try that after I reinstall it tonight.

First thing I checked, yep it's ver 2.122.

I have been doing this way to long not the read the notes first.

I can try to reinstall it again but I did do that the other day after I saw your release notes and I checked to make sure it was ver 2.122

Would it help if I delete the cfg in the modules folder and run it again?.

I don't see how. I don't understand this at all I'm afraid. It works well here, on FS2002 and FS2004 on two different systems. The "blunder" I made in 2.12 was certainly reversed in 2.122.

First I need to reproduce the problem -- but how? Which version of FS2002 are you using? English language? Which Windows?

:cry:

Pete

Pete, the more I think about it I think I only had the problem with one panel, so don't worry and let me look into that more. At this time there were the 2 or 3 changes in ver's and maybe I just got hung up on this one panel.

Oh, win XP and English (USA)

I'll let you know what I find and the more I think about I bet it's something with that panel, I'm so sorry if that is what it is.

This is a timing issue to do with panel detection on first loading FS. It doesn't affect the panels if they are loaded later, nor if you switch views. It's just on initial loading of FS.

I've fixed it in version 2.123 of Advdisplay, which I will release later, tomorrow (Thurs 18th Sept) at the latest.

Thanks,

Pete