The simFlight Network Forums

Brake Pressure without using AXIS control

Pete:

I am using FSX with Accelleration Pack  and Prosim737.

I have Saitek Jet pedals/brakes calibrated and working in FSUIPC.

The Prosim package looks at the offsets 3416 and 3418 for the left/right brake pressure in order to disarm the autobrake. This, too, works fine.

On my test machine, I don't have joystick for rudders/brakes and have to rely on the Keyboard.

My problem is that the FSX Brakes ( period "." )  or assigning a switch in FSUIPC to brakes  does not seem to update those two variables and so Prosim is not seeing the brake pressure (it uses a value > 2000 to detect brake pressure).  These offsets are read only so  I experimented by trying to have a Key set the values ( 0x0BC4(S16)=0x3F00 and 0x0BC6 and set to 0x00000000 on keypress release,  but it doesn't appear to  update 3416 or 3418.  This is the same offset that the default FSX Brakes  (keyboard period) Uses  (I am monitoring offsets to screen) What I notice is that if I have FSUIPC set the fixed value of x3f00 into 0bc4  that it sets the value, but then when I release the key,  instead of immediately setting to zeros  it gradually releases pressure to zero?   So it is acting as if I had pressed and held the period, then released the key.  I also tried using offset  0C00 and 0C01  to no avail.  So my question is  What causes  offsets x3416 x3418  to be updated other than axis controls?

Is there a way to simulate the brakes axis using a simulated joystick  or some other way to influence the brake pressure values.

Thanks

Bruce

The Prosim package looks at the offsets 3416 and 3418 for the left/right brake pressure in order to disarm the autobrake. This, too, works fine.

On my test machine, I don't have joystick for rudders/brakes and have to rely on the Keyboard.

My problem is that the FSX Brakes ( period "." )  or assigning a switch in FSUIPC to brakes  does not seem to update those two variables and so Prosim is not seeing the brake pressure (it uses a value > 2000 to detect brake pressure).  These offsets are read only so  I experimented by trying to have a Key set the values ( 0x0BC4(S16)=0x3F00 and 0x0BC6 and set to 0x00000000 on keypress release,  but it doesn't appear to  update 3416 or 3418.

Well of course those offsets are the actual Axis input values, after calibration, NOT the brake pressures at all! You need to have assigned brake axes to get them set.

Is there a way to simulate the brakes axis using a simulated joystick

You can write to offsets 3BB4 and 3BBC, and assign and calibrate these to the left and right toe brake axes. These are used by my PFC driver for that purpose. 

or some other way to influence the brake pressure values.

It wouldn't matter if there were methods to do this (and there are) because you say ProSim reads offsets 3416 and 3418, which are NOT brake pressures but axis input values, as documented. Those axes may even be disconnected (using another offset) but they'd still reflect the axis input. That's the whole point of those offsets. If ProSim wanted brake pressure it would read different offsets.

Pete

Pete:

Thanks for the quick response and explanation.

I had previously read the documentation on the PFC axis and how to assign values to the PFC virtual axis, however, I can't seem to find how to assign those to an axis/joystick in FSUIPC.   Assuming the 3bb4 is simulated axis  Y,  how do I associate axis Y, Joystick X  so I can assign that to the brakes and calibrate.

Virtual buttons are not a problem, so do I need to assign those manually in the .INI file.  Regular Axis assignment and calibration requires FSUPIC to be able to 'scan' the axis.

Maybe what I am trying to do is not possible --  assign Shift B  to  simulate pressing the toe-brakes on virtual joystick X  axis Y,Z ( just using symbolic values for the joystick and axis here just to distinguish a given joystick and given axis ( would probably be  Y, Z )    Likewise, my goal was to have the single KeyStroke set values in two different variable ( might have to use LUA here ? )   Or can this be done via direct INI editing.

I had previously read the documentation on the PFC axis and how to assign values to the PFC virtual axis, however, I can't seem to find how to assign those to an axis/joystick in FSUIPC.   Assuming the 3bb4 is simulated axis  Y,  how do I associate axis Y, Joystick X  so I can assign that to the brakes and calibrate.

All those PFC offsets appear in the Axis assignments as joystick numbers over 15. They have to actually change in value to be recognised, so you can only do the assignment once you have the mechanism in place to change them. I don't know how you propose to do that, but of course you could always do it easily with a Lua plug-in or using FSinterrogate to write values.

Likewise, my goal was to have the single KeyStroke set values in two different variable ( might have to use LUA here ? )   Or can this be done via direct INI editing.

You can have as many assignments as you like to any button or keypress. In fact you can try writing different values to the same offset with one press, but be aware they may all happen within one poll period, so not be seen as changing.

Pete