The simFlight Network Forums

Peter, would it not be possible to apply a "gradient&qu

Noel

to the top of the visibility layer, such that you no longer get that "sharp edge" where the top of the vis layer intersects with terrain elevations (eg, in moutainous areas)? It would seem to me all visibility layers have a top, so couldnt you program FSUIPC to tell FS9 to change the value of the top 50 pixels to go from 100% to 0%, versus have whatever visibility density is at the top of any layer go from 100% (of the existing density) to 0% from one pixel to the next one up? Or something like that?!

Noel

couldnt you program FSUIPC to tell FS9 to change the value of the top 50 pixels to go from 100% to 0%, versus have whatever visibility density is at the top of any layer go from 100% (of the existing density) to 0% from one pixel to the next one up? Or something like that?!

There's some confusion here.

That so-called visibility layer you see if in fact a deliberate cloud graphic drawn at the altitude which is defined in the weather as the top of the visibility layer. It is not actually a visibility thing, but a graphic addition, like any cloud. It was done by MS in response to the many complaints about FS2002 that, as soon as you climb out of the murk, suddenly the ground is sharp and clear below you. I actually like it, but then I tend to fly mostly in or from the UK where it looks quite good, especially with limited visibility in action above the layer too (more below).

The only answer is to raise the top of the visibility layer -- it's a parameter you'll see in the Weather dialogues.

Unfortunately, FSUIPC can only do this for global weather or weather provided by an external program -- the parameter is bottom left in the FSUIPC visibility page. I cannot get at the localised weather without re-writing it (the weather, that is), in which case I'd be doing the same job as an external weather program.

You could try using the visibility limits and graduated visibility facilities in FSUIPC, which do apply to all weather, even localised. If you set the lower altitude of the graduation to 0 it will start at the top of the visibility layer. With a suitable upper limit to should be able to lessen the effects you don't like.

Regards,

Pete