The simFlight Network Forums

Winds are too strong - help Pete!

Hi Pete,

I used real weather last night flying my DC-3, I had strong winds of 20 knots or more 9should not have been a problem), however, my DC-3 was all over the place being blown about like a super cub and that would not happen in reality. My conclusion is that the winds in FS2004 are obviously incorrect in that they are too strong.

Since it isnt the flight model, is there a chance that this could be addressed in the UIPC module?

Thanks much

I used real weather last night flying my DC-3, I had strong winds of 20 knots or more 9should not have been a problem), however, my DC-3 was all over the place being blown about like a super cub and that would not happen in reality. My conclusion is that the winds in FS2004 are obviously incorrect in that they are too strong.

Are you sure there was no turbulence or variability? Unlike in previous versions of FS these both seem to work very well in FS2004. Certainly I don't think the wind effect is "too strong" -- the reverse, if anything. I've never found it so easy to do cross-wind landings. With a steady wind they are now quite a doddle. Maybe its some improvment in the aircraft modelling that helps.

No aircraft, even a super cub, should really get blown about in the air with steady winds, you'll just get blown in the wind direction. I've never seen anything else except in turbulent or viriable conditions, in FS2004 or before. So I feel pretty sure you must have had one or the other effect.

Both turbulence and variance values are shown in the WeatherSet2 display by the way, so it is easy enough to check.

Since it isnt the flight model, is there a chance that this could be addressed in the UIPC module?

No, sorry. I can't get at the current weather and make any sensible changes. I spent many many hours looking to see if I could override the winds in order to implement the "Taxi Wind" option, and thought I'd succeeded once, but it was not to be. If anything my fiddling about made things worse.

I can of course influence the weather being input by external programs, and I can play around a bit with global FS weather, if you enable the Technical option for me to do so, but, as you'll see from one of my "Important" notes (now also in the FSUIPC documentation), none of the FS weather stays "global" for very long.

If you don't like turbulence, there's an FS option to stop its effects -- Options-Settings-Weather. Unfortunately it's an on or off thing. In the FSUIPC guide I do mention pparameters in the FS CFG file which can be adjusted, maybe these will work with FS2004 as well?

Regards,

Pete