The simFlight Network Forums

Winds smoothing

Hi Pete.  I hate to ask you this, but especially lately with the crazy upper level winds I have been having problems with REX Exxential Plus causing huge sudden wind shifts, both in velocity and direction.  This causes either an overspeed or a severe underspeed.

In my FDUPIC I have "Smooth wind changes near aircraft" selected with a value of 2, and the number below that is 0.  Also checked is "Smooth only when airborne".  Those are the only things I have checked on the Winds tab.  Is there something else that I need to select to have this not be at least as much of an issue?

Thanks in advance!

john croft

Bump for Pete.

What do you want me to say? If a weather program really wants to cause severe wind shifts even FSUIPC's hooks can't totally prevent them. With ActiveSky the smoothing is helped by their own smoothing actions.  Since using FSX with ASN I've not sen any wind shift problems.

When I was using weather programs with less wind control than ASN I used something more like that shown in the picture from Stephen, though with something like 2-4 seconds per knot/degree change. Still some got through, especially on the boundaries between wind layers where smoothing is a more precarious business due to the possibility of having the actual targets swapping regularly.

Pete

Pete

So would it be better to set the lower number to 2 or 4 instead of how I have it now, with the top number being 2?  I know that FSUPIC won't kill all the wind shifts, I was just trying to get it to settle it down a little more than it currently is.  Thanks.

john

So would it be better to set the lower number to 2 or 4 instead of how I have it now, with the top number being 2?  I know that FSUPIC won't kill all the wind shifts, I was just trying to get it to settle it down a little more than it currently is.  Thanks.

I can only suggest you try it. The way FSUIPC applies these things tends to work with the original reasons for sudden extreme wind shifts -- errors in the interpolation between the three WX stations involved in the current triangular area, but that was with FS9. With FSX and the advent of direct and global weather control most weather programs seemed to be able to operate smoothing more subtly, within their own settings. I have not heard of any real problems with FSX winds for a long time. 

I have REX for cloud and wave textures,, OpusFSX for cameras, but ASN for weather and real and accurate weather radar. I pick the best bits from each program! ;-)

Pete