The simFlight Network Forums

Wide 7 install

Pete,

The instructions clearly say to NOT install WideFS on any computer where I'll be running FS itself ... but does that mean a computer that has 

FS installed but not running while using it as a client or as stated simply has FS installed on it period.

It would be convenient if the former applied and could be used as a client (not running FS) or as a simulator when Wide is not being used.

Can you clarify for me please,

Ken

The instructions clearly say to NOT install WideFS on any computer where I'll be running FS itself .

By WideFS I assume you mean WideClient, which is the program which goes on the client PC -- i.e. the remote one, not the FS one -- in order to emulate FS running FSUIPC so that FSUIPC client applications can be networked.

Obviously if you are running FS on the same PC as Wideclient then they can't both look like FS running FSUIPC. Since both use the same class names for their main Windows, this is effectively prohibited automatically.

but does that mean a computer that has FS installed but not running while using it as a client or as stated simply has FS installed on it period.

It's really nothing to do with "installing" -- there's really no installing of WideClient to do in any case, it is just a program, WideClient.EXE, which you can put anywhere you like. The only problem is running it together with FS -- as explained, they can't (normally) both run at the same time on the same PC.

I say "normally" because there is an exception to this. By changng the WideClient.INI file "ClassInstance" parameter to a non-zero value both WideClient and FS (or several instances of WideClient, with different ClassInstance values) can run together. This is generally not much use in supporting FSUIPC applications, but could be useful to support features like WideClient Lua plug-ins (supporting extra libraries) and the button screen and weather radar facilities.

It would be convenient if the former applied and could be used as a client (not running FS) or as a simulator when Wide is not being used.

As said, you can put WideClient where you like and use it when you need to, as outlined above.

Pete