The simFlight Network Forums

Fix control acceleration

Hello Sir Pete!

Firstly, thank you for the whole time of contribution rendered for the aerial simulation.

I am a freware panel designer and after the release of FS2004, my e-mail box has been being flood, mainly with the relative problems to FIX CONTROL ACCELERATION.

Does some form exist to solve this, or should I indicate the purchase of the fsuipc for all of the people that write me?

I don't understand if it can have some license form so that just FIX CONTROL ACCELERATION works.

Thank you.

Helio Estrela

I am a freware panel designer and after the release of FS2004, my e-mail box has been being flood, mainly with the relative problems to FIX CONTROL ACCELERATION.

Does some form exist to solve this

The problem is caused by some third party gauges sending many controls ("Key Events") to FS (either via the PANELS interface for Gauges, or direct by SendMessage with WM_COMMANDs) many times per second. This defeats the timer used in FS for accelerations, making it wrongly think that the increment/decrement operation the user it trying to do is being repeated fast.

The proper fix is to re-program those gauges to not do such unfriendly and performance damaging things. The ones I looked at are very wasteful. They keep sending the same events over and over and over, which accomplishes nothing but a performance hit and this acceleration difficulty.

If you are writing such gauges then you can fix them yourself. Just don't send controls except when you actually want to control something. If you are using other people's gauges, then choose ones which don't exhibit such bad behaviour. All the default FS gauges work fine. The MS programmers don't do such bad things! :-)

Regards,

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Pete,

I fully agree with you, I have also noticed that sending many key events through "trigger_key_event" disturbs the acceleration feature. In addition, any key sequence, such as E 1 or E 2 to select an engine, does not work any more.

But I have a problem with this. I am developing an FMC, and it updates the autopilot heading as often as possible so that the aircraft follows the route accurately, and I use "trigger_key_event" for this. Is there another way to do this? What is the minimum interval of time between 2 trigger_key_event?

Thanks in advance for any help !!

But I have a problem with this. I am developing an FMC, and it updates the autopilot heading as often as possible so that the aircraft follows the route accurately, and I use "trigger_key_event" for this.

I don't think you want to sent such corrections at such close intervals as to run afoul of the acceleration problem. Surely just once or twice per second would certainly be frequent enough? And if you use the AP_PANEL_HEADING_SET control I don't think it gets involved in anycase -- it's only the event triggers that do it, not the value setters (I think, I wouldn't swear to it!)

Is there another way to do this? What is the minimum interval of time between 2 trigger_key_event?

Not sure. Some value in milliseconds, maybe 50-200? Probably relates to typical keyboard repeat rates.

Regards,

Pete