The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 Latest Install to FSX:SE Blues

So Steam is installed to C:\Steam and, I believe, as a result the FSUIPC installer will only find FSX which is installed to C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Why is FSX:SE not discovered?  I looked where the installer does in the registry but not listed.  Can I manually install FSUIPC into FSX:SE?

So Steam is installed to C:\Steam and, I believe, as a result the FSUIPC installer will only find FSX which is installed to C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

No, the current installer will install wherever your versions are. It finds the locations from the Registry entries for the installation.

Why is FSX:SE not discovered?  I looked where the installer does in the registry but not listed.  

If your Registry is wrong then many programs will fail. Did you manually move the FSX-SE  installation instead of using its install process? That is not a good thing to do. I suggest you reinstall FSX-SE following normal procedures otherwise you will get lots of problems from lots of installers.

Also make sure you are trying to install the latest version of FSUIPC -- FSUIPC 4.939n.

If you ever do have any installation problems at all with FSUIPC, when using the latest version, I need always to see the Install log file. That is why one is created!

Pete

I used the latest installer from Install_FSUIPC4939n.zip and ran as an Administrator that produced the following log entries:

Looking in registry for FSX install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX!  <<< ...
     SetupPath=C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Looking in registry for FSX-SE install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
Not there, so looking in:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...

Although FSUIPC has not found my FSX:SE installation, it is most certainly there.  I installed Steam to C:\Steam so it does not run under Program Files(x86) which is a Windows protected area and nothing should install there.  MY FSX installation is at C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

I installed both FSX and FSX:SE using the supplied installers; Microsoft FSX installer and installed FSX:SE through Seam.  FSX:SE does run though I had to modify the fsx.exe manifest to remove hard dependencies added by DoveTail for Administrator rights.

I have FSUIPC latest installed into FSX.  It is a registered copy as well.

I hacked the registry info into the appropriate FSX:SE key location.  All that was present was just the key Flight Simulator - Steam Edition in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\ so I added the AppPath key myself and set it to C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

When I ran the installer as administrator again, this what I the log showed:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.939n

Looking in registry for FSX install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX!  <<< ...
     SetupPath=C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Looking in registry for FSX-SE install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"AppPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX-SE!  <<< ...
     AppPath=C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v1 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"SetupPath"
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v2 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"SetupPath"
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...

Not certain if what I did was correct but it appears so based upon the FSX registry entry.  As well, once I started up FSX:SE, I was prompted to load the FSUIPC4.DLL module and I verified it is registered.

I hacked the registry info into the appropriate FSX:SE key location.  All that was present was just the key Flight Simulator - Steam Edition in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\ so I added the AppPath key myself and set it to C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

That should have been there in any case. Something obviously went wrong with the FSX-SE install.

Not certain if what I did was correct but it appears so based upon the FSX registry entry.  As well, once I started up FSX:SE, I was prompted to load the FSUIPC4.DLL module and I verified it is registered.

Yes, what you did was to correct an obvious omission when you did the FSX-SE install, although I think normally it would be "SetupPath" in the  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section. The FSUIPC4 installer copes with either.

I don't know of any other cases like this -- the installer has always correctly created the installation or application path entries in the Registry. Perhaps you should report this to DoveTailGames in case it's a new bug in their installer.

Pete

I initially installed it and then uninstalled it trying to resolve why it gave me the "This program requires steam: error" which many many people were reporting as problems.  I had to fix the FSX.exe to remove manifest entries added by Dovetail that put the fsx.exe in permanent administrator mode.  When trying to run steam in admin mode sill would not load up the sim.   So I had to uninstall and reinstall via steam and change the fsx.exe file.  Hopefully all is now good and no problems with other addons that use the AppPath for install.