The simFlight Network Forums

Q400 Tiller issue

Hi Pete.  I have something that I'm not really sure what the issue is.  In the Majestic Q400 I can't get the tiller to work after they updated to their latest version.  I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, and I have the grey throttle friction control assigned to the spoilers, with it being aircraft specific.  This is the only plane I have this control set up for.  In FSUPIC this axis reports values from -16384 to 16383, with 0 obviously being centered.  Majestic says that the spoiler control should never have a negative value.  In their control panel program however, the axis shows values from 0-65536.  Either way, I can't get it to control the tiller.

Is there a way in FSUPIC that I can give this axis values from 0 to whatever instead of what it naturally reports? 

I hope this made sense...:)

Thanks

john croft

I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, and I have the grey throttle friction control assigned to the spoilers, with it being aircraft specific.  This is the only plane I have this control set up for.  In FSUPIC this axis reports values from -16384 to 16383, with 0 obviously being centered.  Majestic says that the spoiler control should never have a negative value.  In their control panel program however, the axis shows values from 0-65536.  Either way, I can't get it to control the tiller.

Sorry, I don't know how you expect an axis assigned to spoiler axis can ever control the tiller!

About the 'range' of the inputs:

Depending on what controls you assign to, either FSUIPC takes care of mapping -16384 - +16383 to the range needed by the control, or FS itself does. Generally ALL commercially made axes, calibrated in Windows, have that range. It is the way it is interpreted which makes the difference. Even FS's default throttles have no -ve range themselves -- the -ve input part is mapped, so that -16384 is idle (0 internally). The only throttle controls with reverse as -ve are the old FS98 ones, which FSUIPC uses when using reverse zones.

Pete

Pete, the majestic Q400 uses the spoiler axis to control the tiller. That is how they designed it to work. But they are telling me that the spoiler axis should never be negative. If this is wrong I will tell them that. I'm not saying this is an FSUPIC issue, I am just trying to figure out how to make it work.

So my question to you is, is there a way to make FSUPIC report this axis starting at 0 and going to 65000 or whatever? If not I will tell them that and see what other ideas they have.

Thanks.

Pete, the majestic Q400 uses the spoiler axis to control the tiller. 

Ah, you should have said that! ;-)  So what is the "straight on" value for their tiller, then? 8192?

That is how they designed it to work. But they are telling me that the spoiler axis should never be negative. 

Right, the spoiler internal value is never negative. But assignment in FS would get the range -16384 to +16383 also for the INPUT from the device. It is how FS then applies it to the spoiler which uses 0-16384. And FSUIPC does the same when you calibrate -- check for yourself.

If they are reading the axis directly, and not the Spoiler value, I'm not sure how they manage for non-FSUIPC users because there will always be a negative range.

How are you assigning? Are you calibrating?

You can scale any axis input to FSUIPC using the scaling parameters you can add to the axis assignment line in the INI file. This is covered in the Advanced Users guide.  To convert a range of -16384 to 16383 to 0-16383 just use

*0.5,+8192

Thay's actually one of the examples in the doc (page 37 I think).

Pete

How are you actually assigning it?

Hello John,

I also use a TM Hotas Warthog and the Q400 v1.014 updated to v1.016 with the tiller assigned to the grey slider, working without issue.

In FSUIPC I use the 'Send to FS as normal axis' option and calibrate there also:

post-15586-0-59187500-1438945873.jpg

post-15586-0-65969500-1438945878.jpg

Thanks Stephan.  I have mine set up exactly as you do, and mine doesn't work.  I am using 1.014, and everything worked fine before this update.  Is the 1.016 update the Pro model?  I was under the impression that 1.014 was the latest version of the aircraft.  This is driving me nuts :)

v1.016 adds Win10 compatibity and flightplan wind entries.

Having installed 1.014 the Steering Control Mode remains set to Spoiler Axis in the Majestic control panel?

Other than that I don't believe I can add anything further.