The simFlight Network Forums

Set Comm Radios in ***.005 mhz incriments

Hi,

I purchased the full version from Sim Market earlier today.  It's a great product.  I would like to know what is necessary to do in order to be able to make 0.005 mhz adjustments to my Comm Radios. 

For example:  The ATIS service for Patrick AFB is 119.175 but my Iris F16 and F22 only let me make radio adjustments to the closest 0.25 mhz value.  This means I must auto tune the radio, but I'd rather use FSUIPC to make the adjustment manually if it's possible.

Thank you,

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

I purchased the full version from Sim Market earlier today.  It's a great product.  I would like to know what is necessary to do in order to be able to make 0.005 mhz adjustments to my Comm Radios. 

For example:  The ATIS service for Patrick AFB is 119.175 but my Iris F16 and F22 only let me make radio adjustments to the closest 0.25 mhz value.  This means I must auto tune the radio, but I'd rather use FSUIPC to make the adjustment manually if it's possible.

All FS's radios, and most real world radios, only display 2 decimal digits. The .005 value is assumed. When you tune 119.17 it is assumed to be 117.175 as there is no 117.170 channel. The radios work in channels, not in continuous values. You are worried about something that isn't a problem.

Pete

All FS's radios, and most real world radios, only display 2 decimal digits. The .005 value is assumed. When you tune 119.17 it is assumed to be 117.175 as there is no 117.170 channel. The radios work in channels, not in continuous values. You are worried about something that isn't a problem.

Pete

Disregard:  It seems that the Iris planes are the root cause of the situation and do not allow for more than a 0.25mhz adjustment.

Edited by BoxxMann

No, it's a situation, I can assure you.  I understand what you're saying but using your software to make COM1 and COM2 radio adjustments does not allow the user to select a a frequency such as the example above, for instance, to 119.175.  It will change the radio frequency by ONLY 0.25 mhz increments.

You go try it and then let's talk about this once you see it for yourself.

My software? It is FS, and I've never had any trouble whatsoever setting any desired radio frequency. "Try it"? Pardon?  I use it all the time in my cockpit. It is used by many folks using hardware radio stacks linked to FS through my software,

117.17 set in the FS radios means 117.175. It has always worked perfectly. I don't know what problem you have, but it isn't what you are saying, or are you not explaining yourself well enough. For instance:

using your software to make COM1 and COM2 radio adjustments does not allow the user to select a a frequency such as the example above, for instance, to 119.175.  It will change the radio frequency by ONLY 0.25 mhz increments.

What are you using to make these increments? FSUIPC doesn't do "increments", the INC /DEC facilities are FS controls, or KEY EVENTS. In fact all of the radio facilities are applied using FS controls -- as supported by SimConnect since FSX.

Also, you seem to have something wrong. The COM frequency band is 118.000–136.975 MHz, in steps of 25 kH, which is .025MHz. If you are only seeing increments of 0.25 MHz then you'd only get 117.00, 117.25, 117.50, 117.75 etc. Plainly not true.

Delving deeper, going back to your original message and reading it more carefully:

The ATIS service for Patrick AFB is 119.175 but my Iris F16 and F22 only let me make radio adjustments to the closest 0.25 mhz value. 

Perhaps this is a problem with the add-on aircraft you are using?  Have you tried checking with a default aircraft?

If you are using INC/DEC assignments to FS controls, then "my software" is only the messenger. It simply sends the control on to FS. You could assign directly in FS. Have you tried?

Or maybe it's an FS option. What version are you using? I seem to recall there was an option for enabling or disabling the 0.025 increments -- when FS first came out I think they were new. There are more new ones now, (" it is becoming common to further divide those channels into three (8.33 kHz channel spacing), potentially permitting 2,280 channels. " -- Wikipedia).

Pete

Yes! Found it! FS used to have an option. In fact its setting was reflected in an FSUIPC offset in FSUIPC3 (for FS2004 and earlier -- 0358 which to quote indicated "COM frequency settable in 25KHz increments if true (else 50KHz).".

I am pretty sure that option doesn't exist any more, not for at least 10 years -- FSX and P3D defaults to the 25KHz increment. But maybe you are using an old version of FS and haven't found the option?  I'm afraid I can't tell you where it is, probably either Aircraft - Realism, or Options - Settings - General. I have FSX, FSX-SE and P3D installed, but nothing older I'm afraid.

But whatever you have, it certainly is not any restriction imposed by any of my software as you accuse.

Pete

I appreciate your vigilance.  I retracted my first post and corrected it with new facts.  The issue is related to the Iris F16 and F22.  FSUIPC makes the changes properly.  I am using FSX-SE with all of the latest updates.  Dunno :/

Thank you anyhow.  Your program is quite nice, full of features :)