The simFlight Network Forums

P3D Controller Issue

Greetings,

I read your post suggesting that controllers be disabled in P3D version 3. With one exception, that doesn't matter to me. The exception is, if I disable the controllers in the check box, FS Force can no longer control the trim in the aircraft. That is one of its most compelling features. I have disabled all buttons and axes in P3D controls.

The setup includes a Saitek trim wheel. After starting windows, the controller needs to be spun a number of times. The controller then drops out and reconnects. I can confirm that the trim wheel is not assigned in P3D controls after this event. Furthermore, I have tested this with, and without P3D running. Does that satisfy your request to ensure that FSUIPC and P3D controls are not at odds? I am using your latest version 4.947.

Thanks

I read your post suggesting that controllers be disabled in P3D version 3.

That is always advised in any FS or P3D IF you are assigning axes in FSUIPC, simply because of the possibility of conflicts otherwise. The only additional thing in P3Dv3 at present is that you'd have to assign in FSUIPC if you want to calibrate in FSUIPC. This is wrong, and will hopefully be fixed. I have asked L-M but have had no response yet.

With one exception, that doesn't matter to me. The exception is, if I disable the controllers in the check box, FS Force can no longer control the trim in the aircraft.

I don't know FS Force. How is it controlling trim, then, in a way which demands controllers be enabled?

The setup includes a Saitek trim wheel. After starting windows, the controller needs to be spun a number of times. The controller then drops out and reconnects. I can confirm that the trim wheel is not assigned in P3D controls after this event. Furthermore, I have tested this with, and without P3D running. Does that satisfy your request to ensure that FSUIPC and P3D controls are not at odds?

I've no idea what FS Force is doing to make this necessary. However, there's a misunderstanding here. The ONLY reason for disabling controllers in FS or P3D is to avoid a potential (and I mean potential) conflict should at any time in the future FS or P23D automatically re-assigned axes.  To reproduce an explanation I've already written in another thread near here:

The auto-reassignment in FS occurred when FS thought the device was newly connected. Sometimes that's because you unplugged it and reconnected it, or sometimes it is an electrical oddity in the device, and sometimes it's just some update or other difference happening when re-booting the PC.

However, I have high hopes that it is indeed not doing it in P3Dv3. They seem to have a lot of things to fix in this area in any case, and the FS auto-assignment action was a deliberate user-friendly facility in any case, so that beginners didn't have to worry about assignment of the more common and known device types.

If you can live with the fact that such things may well occasionally happen, and then solve them there and then (by unassigning all the axes or buttons which have been automatically re-assigned), then you can do whatever you like, mixing this that and the other.

The problems in the past have simply been the amount of problems folks get into with these conflicts, when they do arise, and the work in trying to resolve them which should not be necessary.

Pete

Thanks for the reply. I can tell you that:

-disconnected joystick from USB port

-ran P3D v3

-closed P3D

-plugged joystick in

-ran P3D

-nothing was assigned in P3D for the joystick

Don't know if this was any value, given other's mileage may vary.

As far as getting into trouble, I've done it every way imaginable. I now use file backup for minor changes and a disk image for major changes. That doesn't make me smart. It just mitigates the effects when I do dumb stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I can tell you that:

-disconnected joystick from USB port

-ran P3D v3

-closed P3D

-plugged joystick in

-ran P3D

-nothing was assigned in P3D for the joystick

Ah, that's good. So either they removed the auto-assigning mechanism, or your particular device isn't a "known" one, i.e. one for which they have the typical usage mapped in the files.

Thanks,

Pete

It was a Sidewinder II FFB. Do you want me to unplug something else and check? I have Saitek throttles, Saitek combat rudder pedals, Xbox 360, Saitek trim wheel.

If you wouldn't mind. Thanks. Jut the main controls I think -- throttles and pedals. Certainly those were usually reassigned by FSX.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...