The simFlight Network Forums

Log reads = yes

Hi folks,

got my FSX on an SSD. Had not used it for a while, When I returned to it I got the feeling that it now takes longer to load. I was suspicious of file-read errors. The load progress bar would sit mostly at the 6% mark (about one or two minutes).

If I turn the "log IPC reads" will I be able to detect any read errors ? What should I be looking for ?

fwiw my installation is about 230GB and takes about 5 minutes from starting FSX to flight start (sitting in cockpit on runway or in the air..

Or am I just a tad too paranoid ?  :-)

Thanks

got my FSX on an SSD. Had not used it for a while, When I returned to it I got the feeling that it now takes longer to load. I was suspicious of file-read errors. The load progress bar would sit mostly at the 6% mark (about one or two minutes).

It's quite common for the loading process to stick at 6% for some time. I think it gets longer the more scenery layers you have and the more complex they are.

If I turn the "log IPC reads" will I be able to detect any read errors ? What should I be looking for ?

No, IPC reads are FSUIPC offsets being read by an FSUIPC client application, and that service isn't available whilst FS is loading. "IPC" stands for "Inter Process Communincation" and is part of the FSUIPC name.

fwiw my installation is about 230GB and takes about 5 minutes from starting FSX to flight start (sitting in cockpit on runway or in the air..

Mine takes about that long -- from an SSD on an overclocked PC. I have about 500 scenery layers in my list. I've not sized it all in gigs though.

Pete