The simFlight Network Forums

Terrain.dll, g3d.dll crashes using custom software

Hi, I am working on a SimConnect project using Prepar3d v1.3 (not using FSUIPC yet,) and am finding that Prepar3d intermittently crashes quietly with a terrain.dll or g3d.dll crash dump in the windows event viewer. It's always on an access violation exception, and I've been noticing that people who used FSUIPC reported the same thing until Pete deployed a fix.

What I'm wondering is if I change the custom software from connecting directly to simconnect, and have it ask FSUIPC for that data instead, would these problems go away? I'm trying to understand the scope of the fix that was put in place for FSUIPC-- from what I've gathered, this has been a problem for anyone trying to connect to SimConnect.

Also, since I'm required to used Prepar3d v1.3, would it be possible to buy a version of FSUIPC that works with that old of a version of Prepar3d?

Thanks everyone,

Ahmed

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, P3D 1.3 was far too buggy for me to support. Why are you "required" to use such an old version? I'm about to drop support for 1.4 too. In fact the only versions worth supporting now are 2.5 and 3.0 (with 3.1 imminent I think).

Anyway, the only G3D "fix" which FSUIPC ever implemented was a patch it placed to avoid a crash when data in a BGL file got corrupted in memory. I never had any such crashes myself -- they seemed to occur mostly when the system was running out of process memory. There were many G3D crashes never fixed this way and Terrain ones too. I don't know of any link between them and the use of SimConnect.

Pete

Thank you so much for the info, Pete. It turned out the Terrain and g3d crashes were not related to SimConnect at all. However, after a few rounds of bugfixing, there's one crash left. There seems to be a COMException with the error code: 0xC000020D STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET happening on ReceiveMessage(), with the Source listed as mscorlib. It seems to happen intermittently (after 0-2 hours) and does not leave a crash log anywhere-- I'm catching the exception in code and writing it manually to a text file. Does this sound like a familiar problem at all?

I would be happy to pay you for your consultation time, as I know this is regarding a version of Prepar3d you don't support.

Thank you very much,

Ahmed

There seems to be a COMException with the error code: 0xC000020D STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET happening on ReceiveMessage(), with the Source listed as mscorlib. It seems to happen intermittently (after 0-2 hours) and does not leave a crash log anywhere-- I'm catching the exception in code and writing it manually to a text file. Does this sound like a familiar problem at all?

No, sorry. Error code 20D (525) isn't even listed in the Windows Error Code index, so I expect it is specific to COM technology, which is a complete mystery to me having never used COM.

Sorry, I cannot help with this. You need someone who knows more about the technology.

Pete