The simFlight Network Forums

Makerunways.exe really odd error?

Hi Pete, 

Hope you are well :)

I've started getting an odd error log from the runways.txt created by makerunways.exe

Started out of the blue the error lines are:

***ERROR C0000005 at 00406107:

***      Access violation trying to read address 7B4C3A60

***      EAX 7B4C3A5E  EBX 00000000  ECX 0B31E064  EDX 00000180  EDI 7B4C3A5E  ESI 0B31DFA0

makerunways finds my scenery config fine.

Do you have any guidance on what might be causing this?

Any help much appreciated. 

All the best

Matt Attwell

I've started getting an odd error log from the runways.txt created by makerunways.exe

Started out of the blue the error lines are:

***ERROR C0000005 at 00406107:
***      Access violation trying to read address 7B4C3A60
***      EAX 7B4C3A5E  EBX 00000000  ECX 0B31E064  EDX 00000180  EDI 7B4C3A5E  ESI 0B31DFA0

makerunways finds my scenery config fine.

Do you have any guidance on what might be causing this?

I need to see the lines preceding this error to get the context -- from the place which identifies the file being processed at the time, Also, I need you to b using the current version, 4.694, so it relates to my code as it stands now and I can use the details being logged.

I might also need the specific BGL file which causes it. I would strongly suspect a corruption in the file, but whether it is or not I need to safeguard against it. If you wouldn't mind ZIPping that and sending it to me, do it as an attachment to an email to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Meanwhile, see if it works okay with that particular BGL file renamed or removed (you can just rename it as say .BGX in stead of .BGL).

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for the quick reply, I kept investigating and think I've got it actually.

A while ago I used a few symbolic links/junctions to shift some orbx scenery from my main P3d directory to another SSD to save space, (Orbx stuff seems to insist on being in the p3d directory, at least if you use the Orbx scenery app). 

I last ran makerunways before writing the symlinks and as I use my atc app, (proatc x) networked I only run makerunways directly from the exe every now and then.

The symbolic links should be transparent to the OS and do work fine for p3d but cause the error with makerunways. Once I deleted the links and copied the scenery files back to their "real" place all works fine, no error :)

So it was indeed a corruption of sorts, just a deliberate one on my part!  (Note to self don't try to be clever just:  (a) by a bigger SSD or (b) stop buying scenery!!)

Anyway as always thank you enormously for all your hard work on FSUIPC, Widefs and make runways. I use them all, what would the simming world do with you!

All the Best

Matt Attwell

The symbolic links should be transparent to the OS and do work fine for p3d but cause the error with makerunways. Once I deleted the links and copied the scenery files back to their "real" place all works fine, no error :)

Hmm. I don't anything about "symbolic links", but if they are supposed to be handled invisibly by the operating system they shouldn't make MakeRunways fail.  I'll need to have a look at that -- but first I'll have to find out how to make such links.

Pete