The simFlight Network Forums

Trottle + reverser

hm

How can I put trottle and reverser with speed breaks on one axis (trottle).

I had this before (Cs727) but after a new installation it was disappeared.

You can't have the throttle+reverser AND speed brakes (spoilers) all on one axis. You can have a throttle axis with part of it calibrated for reverse, but the spoiler axis is always separate.

Instructions for setting up a throttle with a reverse section in FSUIPC's Joysticks section are given in the FSUIPC documentation. Basically you go to the main throttle (on the same page as aileron, elevator and rudder), and check the option to map it to the four separate throttles. It is those controls in FS which have a reverse range, you see. Then you go to the 4 throttle page and calibrate the 1st throttle with a reverse range and a dead zone at "centre" which is then your Idle position.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 months later...

Please forgive me for this request, but I am really at my wits end. I have read the fine documentation provided with FSUIPC and the many posts here on the message board, but I cannot for the life of me translate what I read here into what I need to do within FSUIPC to accomplish this.

I know where all the pieces are to accomplish this task, but just cannot do it. Does anyone have any screenshots they can share that would show this? I have a Suncom SFS throttle that I am trying to use along with my CH Yoke. I am trying to set idle at the lower detent with reversers below that. Plus I am still struggling to get the second throttle lever to work. WinXP is the OS and FS9 the version, I have tried the Suncom via both Gameport and through a USB adapter. No joy. It works fine as a single throttle control with no reversers however.

Trevor

I have a Suncom SFS throttle that I am trying to use along with my CH Yoke. I am trying to set idle at the lower detent with reversers below that. Plus I am still struggling to get the second throttle lever to work. WinXP is the OS and FS9 the version, I have tried the Suncom via both Gameport and through a USB adapter. No joy. It works fine as a single throttle control with no reversers however.

You have two throttle levers, right? You want independent controls for Engine 1 and Engine 2, with a reverse section on each?

First you need to assign each throttle separately to Engine 1 and Engine 2 in FS's assignments. This is not what you have done so far, by the sound of it. It also is nothing to do with FSUIPC, yet.

All this should be covered in FS's Help, but here goes ...

Get both throttles working in FS as it stands, first. The FS assignments are accessed by Options-Controls-Assignments. Select the "Joystick Axes" tab, find the "Engine 1 Throttle Axis" entry and select it, click "change assignment", and waggle the throttle 1 lever so it gets recognised. Confirm that you want to change it.

Now do the same with the "Engine 2 Throttle Axis".

This should give you full forward throttle range on both engines. Make sure the "sensitivity" is at maximum or near so for both axes or you will get lopsided control (sensitivity is also in Options-Controls).

When that's working okay, go to the FSUIPC options, Joystick pages, and locate page 3, giving calibration of separate throttles. Calibrate both throttles 1 and 2 following the directions in the FSUIPC user guide. Make sure you have a zone around your "idle" detente to give a reliable output of 0 when the throttles are at that position. The minimum position should give an output of -4096 for full reverse (though that may vary according to aircraft) and the maximum position and output of 16384 for full forward thrust.

If you want to use two throttles on 3 and 4 engined aircraft, just check the "Map 1->12, 2->3" and "Map 1->12, 2->34" options on the throttles calibration page in FSUIPC.

"Okay" out of the FSUIPC oiptions and you should be set.

Regards,

Pete

Maybe we are looking at this as a complex situation where a simple answer might suffice.

If we are talking about deploying spoilers as ground spoilers to be deployed in addition to reverse thrust durinng a roll-out, then perhaps the addition of an auto-spoiler or spoiler armed switch to the panel should be considered. These deploy when the throttle is brought to idle and the wheel sensors indicate the aircraft has contacted the surface. An increase of the throttle above idle retards the spoilers. The switch I use (programmed by Mathias Lieberecht at http://www.baepanelproject.com) then toggles back to disabled after the first deployment during the roll-out as the throttle is increased for taxi. This keeps the spoilers from engaging as the throttle is adjusted during taxieing back to an idle position.

The spoilers can still be deployed by other means as fitted and necessary if that is their function other than ground spoilers.

For any other combination, it would have to be in the panel programming.

As an aside, the term speed brake can also apply to drag inducing devices usually expanding from the fuselage tail cone and are not lift destroying devices. These are used on smaller aircraft. AFAIK there is no throttle automatic tie-in for this type of device.

• 2 weeks later...

Still fighting this! Whenever I try to calibrate my throttle in FSUIPC all I am able to get is 16384 for the upper end and -16384 for the bottom. I want to be able to set 0 at the detent and -4096 at the lower range. Right now, with 16384 to -16384, 0 is when my throttle is in the middle (half way between fully forward and fully back).

Is that something that has to be set in the FS9.cfg file?

Am I clear as mud? :roll:

Trevor Henderson

Whenever I try to calibrate my throttle in FSUIPC all I am able to get is 16384 for the upper end and -16384 for the bottom.

Where are you reading those? That's the maximum possible range allowed for the input.

I want to be able to set 0 at the detent and -4096 at the lower range. Right now, with 16384 to -16384, 0 is when my throttle is in the middle (half way between fully forward and fully back).

Yes, that would be the default position for the centre. You need to press the "Set" button in FSUIPC (so it changes to "Reset"), THEN use each of the separate buttons in turn to set the values which FSUIPC will use.

Currently it sounds like you aren't using FSUIPC.

Please check the FSUIPC User Guide. There are step-by-step instructions there.

Regards,

Pete