The simFlight Network Forums

GPSout with Garmin Pilot (iPad)

Is it possible to use the GPSout feature in conjunction with the X-Plane connectivity in-built with Garmin pilot. Regards, George

Nothing of mine works with X-Plane. I don't know if someone else has done a similar feature -- maybe check with the XPUIPC author?

Pete

Hi Pete, Apologies, I didn't make it clear. I am actually using P3D with FSUIPC, but I am trying to output the GPS data with GPSout to work with the new X-Plane feature in Garmin Pilot (It uses your Wi-Fi to connect to X-Plane on port number 49002). Can I transmit the same data with FSUIPC to trick the app into thinking I am using X-Plane? I managed to connect Sky Demon (which has the X-Plane mode) using a program called FlightSimGPS but Garmin Pilot doesn't want to know about it! Thanks, George

Hi Pete, Apologies, I didn't make it clear. I am actually using P3D with FSUIPC, but I am trying to output the GPS data with GPSout to work with the new X-Plane feature in Garmin Pilot (It uses your Wi-Fi to connect to X-Plane on port number 49002). Can I transmit the same data with FSUIPC to trick the app into thinking I am using X-Plane?

The output from the GPSout facility in FSUIPC, which is configurable in any case, is standard GPS output -- either a selection of NMEA sentences, or "Aviation" format. And the output is always to a serial port (COMn). You link to your GPS using a serial cable, possible with an USB adapter and appropriate driver.

In other words the GPout facility just emulates a real GPS. So any device which can accept such input should work fine with it.

But then you say your device "uses your Wi-Fi to connect to X-Plane on port number 49002", then I'm sorry, but there's no such Ethernet transmission facilities in FSUIPC. You could write your own as a Lua plug-in, but there's not a ready-made one.

Pete

Thanks for that Pete. I tried this neat little Lua Plug-in (http://forum.simflight.com/topic/72742-interfacing-to-foreflight-mobile/#entry448797) but Garmin Pilot still refuses to cooperate, X-Plane must use different coding to the Plug-in. Back to flying the old school way with no gps then I guess! Thanks, George

• 1 month later...

Hello. This may help if you are trying to send serial port data through TCP/IP. Many years ago I was doing the same thing and I found a free software called HW Virtual Port. I used v1.25 and my setup was as follows:

PC1: using Microsoft Flight Simulator with a GPS output:
IP=10.0.0.2, VSP: Client, IP=10.0.0.4, Ports=23 [√]=HW VSP works as the TCP server.

PC2: using Anywheremap XP as the GPS input:
IP=10.0.0.4, VSP: Server, IP=10.0.0.2, Ports=23 [  ]=HW VSP works as the TCP server.

Of course, I must tell you, that was using Windows XP. I have no idea what Windows Vista, and onward will do...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16.12.2016 at 7:13 PM, Erlap said:

Hello,

Here is a software called XOFSX2GP that makes FSX to communicate with an Ipad running Garmin Pilot. Follow the link : http://www.erlapplication.fr/

HTH

I tested this with the Demo Version and my Gamin Pilot (iPad Air 2). Worked well. Will buy this tonight. Excellent piece of Software. Smooth & easy installation.